Eyes Are Different Sizes: Fixed by Cosmetic Surgery?

my right eye is a normal seeing regular sized eye, but my left eye is "noticeably" smaller and blind (left eye doesn't have a pupil (my mother fell down when she was pregnant with me so it stopped the growth in my left eye). is there anyway to make my eyes the same size? or add a new eyeball or something? just wondering...

Doctor Answers 4

Correction of uneven eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is theoretically possible for this result to be achieved. However, an attempt do so would involve a highly complex craniofacial surgery. This procedure is usually reserved only for those suffering from extremely severe facial abnormalities or from other serious medical conditions because the risk of complications such as permanent blindness or even death is quite high. Therefore, it is very unlikely that a patient seeking a purely cosmetic improvement will even be allowed to undergo this surgery. It is important to note, however, that there are other options for making the distance between the eyes seem more aesthetically pleasing. For more details a consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon should be made to to determine which treatment will bring about the best results.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Options for different size eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Patients with significant differences in the size of their eyes can often be helped . In general this would require an appointment and consultation with careful examination and discussion to determine the best choice for the particular patient.

You can go on the ASOPRS website and find an oculoplastic surgeon in your area to help you.

Hope this helps

J. Timothy Heffernan, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Eyelid asymmetry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You have surgical and nonsurgical (ocular prosthesis) options to help make both sides appear more symmetric.  A consultation will determine exactly what can be done and what the expected results are.

Dr T.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

Undoubtedly you can be helped.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear 9263

The first step here is to see an oculoplastic surgeon.  This is a board certified ophthalmologist who is fellowship trained in eye plastic surgery.  They rehabilitate these situations.  It is possible that an ocularist (a technician who makes glass eyes) might also be able to assist.  However the first step is to determine how your left orbit developed and make an individualized plan for you.  This type of work is often covered by health insurance by the way.  Go to the American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery website at ASOPRS.org.  The site maintains a geographic directory which will help you find a highly qualified surgeon in your area.  Good luck.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.