Exercising After Rhinoplasty?

Can I exercise after rhinoplasty? By this I mean heavy weightlifting, intensive training and protein intake.

Exercising After Rhinoplasty

I advise my patients to avoid exercise/weightlifting for one month post surgically. For the first three weeks after surgery, patients are at a higher risk of nose bleed and post surgical complications. To minimize the potential for these complications, I advise refraining from these activities for one month at minimum. In regards to nutrition, eating a well balanced diet that is high in protein is best for healing. As always, consult your physician prior to any changes in nutrition or activities pre and post surgically.

Exercising After Rhinoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

When to start heavy exercise after rhinoplasty

3 weeks is the minimum. Heavy weight lifting increases your blood pressure and especially pressure in the face and nose area if you are holding your breath (valsalva maneuver). That can cause a nose bleed. Also if a weight falls on your nose in the first 3 weeks, the likelihood of breaking it is great. It takes about 3 weeks for nasal bones to heal enough to withstand some mild trauma.

Regards

Regards

6 Weeks After Surgery

I normally recommend patients wait until 6 weeks after surgery. This is for strenuous physical activity and swimming as well.

6 Weeks After Surgery

May Take Up To 8 Weeks To Return To Exercise Following Rhinoplasty

Patients who undergo rhinoplasty are often eager to resume their normal exercise routine. Unfortunately, any maneuver that elevates blood pressure in the immediate post-operative period can result in bleeding. This risk increases when septoplasty is performed in combination with rhinoplasty.

For this reason, we recommend avoiding most exertion for about two weeks following surgery. Strenuous activities such as running and weight lifting should be avoided for six to eight weeks following surgery.

It’s important to discuss these issues with your surgeon before resuming exercise. Your surgeon will be able to tell you when it’s appropriate to resume your normal exercise routine. 

Exercising After Rhinoplasty

I would abstain from any cardio or workout exercise until 2 weeks of recovery, you may still have swelling. I would be Cautious so you don't cause any trauma.

"Dr.D"

Exercising After Rhinoplasty

"Dr.D"

Minimize heavy activity for a couple weeks after rhinoplasty surgery

As others have already stated, avoid all strenuous activity, especially heavy weight lifting or intensive training.

Any activity which elevates your blood pressure or causes Valsalva effect may exacerbate and cause bruising, at worst even frank bleeding. Strenuous activities to avoid include, but are not limited to running, exercise, weight lifting, pilates, aerobics, cycling, climbing, and sex. Yoga should be avoided too. Patients should even avoid straining on the toilet! Your plastic surgeon will inform you when you can resume normal activity. Most patients may resume regular activities within a couple weeks.

Unrestricted physical activity may be resumed 3 weeks following Rhinoplasty surgery in our practice.

After your Rhinoplasty surgery, the most common complication you might experience is a nose-bleed. The likelihood of this can be reduced by refraining from strenuous activity like weight-lifting or jogging for 3 weeks. Our patients have unrestricted activity 3 weeks following Rhinoplasty. I don't think a high protein diet would be problematic. Good luck, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Exercise

During the first 6 weeks, you can resume all normal functional activities such as work, socializing and light physical activity. Heavy physical activity (running, jogging, heavy weight lifting, downward face poses for yoga/pilates) are restricted until after week 6.

Deepak Dugar, MD Scarless Rhinoplasty Expert Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Deepak Raj Dugar, MD

Exercise

Deepak Raj Dugar, MD

How soon before exercising after Rhinoplasty

Thanks for your question and congratulations on your surgery.  Working out too soon can lead to excessive blood flow and could cause bleeding.  Most surgeons suggest within about 4 weeks you can begin a moderate workout and by 6 weeks you should be healed to return back to your regular routine.  I suggest you see your surgeon and follow his/her recommendations and to make sure you are on the right track to recovery. Best of luck to you! 

Exercising After Rhinoplasty?

You can gradually return to normal activities and exercise from 4 weeks post surgery being guided by your body and how you are feeling.  Cross fit style activity and intensive training can start after 6 weeks and any contact sports should be avoided for at least 3 months.

Exercising After Rhinoplasty?