Exercising After Rhinoplasty?

Can I exercise after rhinoplasty? By this I mean heavy weightlifting, intensive training and protein intake.

When to start heavy exercise after rhinoplasty

3 weeks is the minimum. Heavy weight lifting increases your blood pressure and especially pressure in the face and nose area if you are holding your breath (valsalva maneuver). That can cause a nose bleed. Also if a weight falls on your nose in the first 3 weeks, the likelihood of breaking it is great. It takes about 3 weeks for nasal bones to heal enough to withstand some mild trauma.

Regards

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Exercising After Rhinoplasty

I advise my patients to avoid exercise/weightlifting for one month post surgically. For the first three weeks after surgery, patients are at a higher risk of nose bleed and post surgical complications. To minimize the potential for these complications, I advise refraining from these activities for one month at minimum. In regards to nutrition, eating a well balanced diet that is high in protein is best for healing. As always, consult your physician prior to any changes in nutrition or activities pre and post surgically.

Richard A. Zoumalan, MD

6 Weeks After Surgery

I normally recommend patients wait until 6 weeks after surgery. This is for strenuous physical activity and swimming as well.

May Take Up To 8 Weeks To Return To Exercise Following Rhinoplasty

Patients who undergo rhinoplasty are often eager to resume their normal exercise routine. Unfortunately, any maneuver that elevates blood pressure in the immediate post-operative period can result in bleeding. This risk increases when septoplasty is performed in combination with rhinoplasty.

For this reason, we recommend avoiding most exertion for about two weeks following surgery. Strenuous activities such as running and weight lifting should be avoided for six to eight weeks following surgery.

It’s important to discuss these issues with your surgeon before resuming exercise. Your surgeon will be able to tell you when it’s appropriate to resume your normal exercise routine. 

Exercising After Rhinoplasty

I would abstain from any cardio or workout exercise until 2 weeks of recovery, you may still have swelling. I would be Cautious so you don't cause any trauma.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Minimize heavy activity for a couple weeks after rhinoplasty surgery

As others have already stated, avoid all strenuous activity, especially heavy weight lifting or intensive training.

Any activity which elevates your blood pressure or causes Valsalva effect may exacerbate and cause bruising, at worst even frank bleeding. Strenuous activities to avoid include, but are not limited to running, exercise, weight lifting, pilates, aerobics, cycling, climbing, and sex. Yoga should be avoided too. Patients should even avoid straining on the toilet! Your plastic surgeon will inform you when you can resume normal activity. Most patients may resume regular activities within a couple weeks.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unrestricted physical activity may be resumed 3 weeks following Rhinoplasty surgery in our practice.

After your Rhinoplasty surgery, the most common complication you might experience is a nose-bleed. The likelihood of this can be reduced by refraining from strenuous activity like weight-lifting or jogging for 3 weeks. Our patients have unrestricted activity 3 weeks following Rhinoplasty. I don't think a high protein diet would be problematic. Good luck, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

When can I exercise after a rhinoplasty

Very common question.  I would advise you to discuss this with your surgeon as each doctor has their own protocol.  I am very strict with patients as I want them to have an excellent outcome and dont want to take any chances that something post op will alter the outcome.  The nose is not healed for 6-8wks hence I have patients avoid all vigorous exercise for that time frame.  People ask what does leg press or cycling have to do with my nose and when you exercise hard your blood flow increases and goes to injured area preferentially hence your nose will swell and stay swollen longer.  

Good luck

Dr Rahban

Rady Rahban, MD

Exercising After Rhinoplasty

Straining, bending and lifting should be avoided during the early postoperative period. In many instances, you may be able to return to work within 7 to 10 days after surgery. Most normal activities including exercise can usually be resumed within three weeks. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel 

Double Board Certified 

Plastic Surgeon 

Hoffman Estates 

Barrington 

Oakbrook 

Chicago 

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Exercising After Rhinoplasty?

Greetings

Thank you for your question. after 3 to 6 weeks you can not exercise after the rhinoplasty. 

If you underwent a simple rhinoplasty or correction of nasal tip operation it means that your cartilage or bone structures are not excised. Since the manipulation is minimal; the edema will be minimal also. Nasal buffers will not be applied after these operations but only strip bandages. These strip bandages will be removed after 5th postoperative day. You can continue to do your daily work just after the procedure but we do not advise you heavy lifting or excessive exercise.

If you underwent rhinoplasty operation in which the bone and cartilage structures are also involved like concha hypertrophy, septum deviation or secondary rhinoplasty; then intranasal buffers will be applied in order to reduce the edema. These intranasal buffers will be removed after 5th postoperative day. You can continue to do your daily work just after the procedure but we do not advise you heavy lifting or excessive exercise. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon