Exercising After Rhinoplasty?

Can I exercise after rhinoplasty? By this I mean heavy weightlifting, intensive training and protein intake.

Exercising After Rhinoplasty

I advise my patients to avoid exercise/weightlifting for one month post surgically. For the first three weeks after surgery, patients are at a higher risk of nose bleed and post surgical complications. To minimize the potential for these complications, I advise refraining from these activities for one month at minimum. In regards to nutrition, eating a well balanced diet that is high in protein is best for healing. As always, consult your physician prior to any changes in nutrition or activities pre and post surgically.

6 Weeks After Surgery

I normally recommend patients wait until 6 weeks after surgery. This is for strenuous physical activity and swimming as well.

May Take Up To 8 Weeks To Return To Exercise Following Rhinoplasty

Patients who undergo rhinoplasty are often eager to resume their normal exercise routine. Unfortunately, any maneuver that elevates blood pressure in the immediate post-operative period can result in bleeding. This risk increases when septoplasty is performed in combination with rhinoplasty.

For this reason, we recommend avoiding most exertion for about two weeks following surgery. Strenuous activities such as running and weight lifting should be avoided for six to eight weeks following surgery.

It’s important to discuss these issues with your surgeon before resuming exercise. Your surgeon will be able to tell you when it’s appropriate to resume your normal exercise routine. 

Minimize heavy activity for a couple weeks after rhinoplasty surgery

As others have already stated, avoid all strenuous activity, especially heavy weight lifting or intensive training.

Any activity which elevates your blood pressure or causes Valsalva effect may exacerbate and cause bruising, at worst even frank bleeding. Strenuous activities to avoid include, but are not limited to running, exercise, weight lifting, pilates, aerobics, cycling, climbing, and sex. Yoga should be avoided too. Patients should even avoid straining on the toilet! Your plastic surgeon will inform you when you can resume normal activity. Most patients may resume regular activities within a couple weeks.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

When to start heavy exercise after rhinoplasty

3 weeks is the minimum. Heavy weight lifting increases your blood pressure and especially pressure in the face and nose area if you are holding your breath (valsalva maneuver). That can cause a nose bleed. Also if a weight falls on your nose in the first 3 weeks, the likelihood of breaking it is great. It takes about 3 weeks for nasal bones to heal enough to withstand some mild trauma.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Exercising After Rhinoplasty?

Thank you for your question. after 3 to 6 weeks you can not exercise after the rhinoplasty. 

If you underwent a simple rhinoplasty or correction of nasal tip operation it means that your cartilage or bone structures are not excised. Since the manipulation is minimal; the edema will be minimal also. Nasal buffers will not be applied after these operations but only strip bandages. These strip bandages will be removed after 5th postoperative day. You can continue to do your daily work just after the procedure but we do not advise you heavy lifting or excessive exercise.

If you underwent rhinoplasty operation in which the bone and cartilage structures are also involved like concha hypertrophy, septum deviation or secondary rhinoplasty; then intranasal buffers will be applied in order to reduce the edema. These intranasal buffers will be removed after 5th postoperative day. You can continue to do your daily work just after the procedure but we do not advise you heavy lifting or excessive exercise. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Take Time to Heal

You can certainly exercise after rhinoplasty, as long as you have given yourself enough time to rest beforehand. Typically, it's safe to resume light exercise, such as walking, about 2 weeks after surgery. More intense exercises like the ones you describe can be safely performed after about a month. However, remember that these suggestions are simply guidelines. You should check with your surgeon for more specific instructions before participating in any type of exercise after surgery.  

Jerold Olson, MD
Tucson Facial Plastic Surgeon

Exercising after rhinoplasty

After having rhinoplasty some moderate activity can be resumed, but nothing strenuous. Several weeks after the surgery you can resume most of your normal activities.
  • Driving: 5-7 days.
  • Non-contact sports: 3-4 weeks. (This includes jogging, swimming, hiking, etc.)
  • Contact sports: 6 weeks. (This category includes tennis, skiing, football, basketball, etc.)
  • Diving: 8-12 weeks.

M. Azhar Ali, MD, FACS
Bloomfield Hills Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Recovery

I recommend that patients discontinue exercise for at least 3 weeks following a rhinoplasty procedure. Over exerting yourself too quickly after surgery could potentially compromise your outcome. Many of my patients are very active and express how hard it is wait for 3 whole weeks, but it's necessary to give your body an appropriate amount of time to heal. After three weeks, patients are often very excited to be able to work out, especially after patiently waiting, however it's important to start out slow. Even if you are an avid weightlifter, I wouldn't recommend lifting as much as you normally do on your first workout post surgery. I suggest that patients ease back into their normal exercise routines and to listen to their bodies. If something doesn't feel right you should stop what you are doing. I believe that giving your body enough time to recover after surgery helps to eliminate potential side effects and gives patients the best chance at achieving their most optimal result.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Exercise after rhinoplasty

I advise my patients to wait 2 weeks before resumption of activities that will raise their blood pressure.  This includes, running, weight training, playing sports, being intimate, etc.  After 2 weeks, I tell them to listen to their bodies.  If they exert themselves and their nose starts throbbing, that's their body's way to telling them to back off for a few more days. Exertion will increase swelling, but more importantly increases the risk of getting a nose bleed.  The first thing someone is going to want to do if you get a nose bleed is pinch your nose to try to get it to stop and that's obviously not optimal rhinoplasty aftercare.

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon