What's happening to my eyelids? (photos)

I'm 26 and always had 'hooded' eyelids but recently (2years or so) they've been dropping and sagging. Now they're actually in my way if I look up where they weren't before! They also now look crepey and they are very dry. It's getting me down as I've always thought my eyes as a good feature on me but now I'm so embarrassed! If I use any eye creams they irritate and make the dryness worse. Surgery is out of the question at least for a few years as I haven't the money to spend on them unfortunately.

What's happening to my eyelids?

Hello BigAl1990,
Thanks for your question.
I think you have been suffering from dermatitis of the upper eyelid skin.  Dermatitis is an allergic reaction to topical chemicals, typically in eye makeup.  It creates irritation in the skin and eventually can stretch the skin leaving it crepey.
I would recommend that you see a dermatologist for an evaluation and treatment.  Allergy testing might be in order as well.
Once the dermatitis is treated, the skin will recover.  Any residual excess skin can be removed by upper eyelid blepharoplasty surgery.
Good luck,
Dr. Shah

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Upper eyelids

You have irritation of your upper eyelids otherwise known as a dermatitis. Obtain a consultation with a dermatologist for an evaluation and treatment. Once the dermatitis is resolved, it will be interesting to see the appearance of your upper eyelids. If excess skin is still present, a upper lid blepharoplasty, despite your age, may be appropriate.

Upper eyelid surgery for hooded skin

There appears to be some sort of dermatitis of the skin on the upper lids which should be treated by a dermatologist. Once the dermatitis has resolved and there is excess skin noted on the upper lids creating the hooded look, consider an upper blepharoplasty procedure. An upper blepharoplasty involves removal of excess skin and a small amount of fat to rejuvenate the upper lids through an incision directly located in the upper eyelid crease. For many examples and more information, please see the video and the link below

What's happening to my eyelids?

Thank you for your question and photographs.  It appears that you have developed excess upper eyelid skin which is unusual at your age.  It would be important to determine the cause of the skin, either repeated allergic reactions causing swelling, your genetic makeup, or a skin irritation of sorts.  Treatment at this stage would likely necessitate surgery but be seen by a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation.  

Wrinkled lids

This is unusual at your age.  You may be having some dermatitis which needs treatment with prescription medications.  Have you had intermittent bouts of eyelid swelling?  There is a condition called blepharochalasis, usually in young women, where the lids get very swollen at times, resulting in very wrinkled loose skin in the upper lids.  You should see an oculoplastic surgeon for a consult.   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hooded, dry, red skin...

Thank you for sharing your question and photo. The extra skin you have is not uncommon and could just be related to your genetic makeup. It can be treated only surgically. The uneven, red,  scaly skin could be dermatitis. This can be caused by many triggers and should be fully evaluated by an Oculoplastic Surgeon. Treatment typically Is cold compresses, Benedry and steroid cream. You should see a doctor before starting any medicine. Good luck.