Will Electric Stimulation Machines Help Firm Facial Muscles?

What do you think about using an electrical stimulation machine to firm up facial muscles? I'm on a facial exercise regimen - which I'm going to try for 4 mos & I also have a electrical muscle stimulator - which I'm using on my facial muscles - we'll see what happens.

Electrical stimulation to help lift the face and firm facial muscles

The verdict is still out on this one. We see patients with facial paralysis and its very obvious that  knocking out facial muscles causes severe droop in the face and around the eyes. Yet we also see muscle hypertrophy as an undesirable aging effect in the forehead, neck and jaw region. I think that eventually we will tailor our treatment plans to selectively train and firm up certain facial muscle groups with electro-stimulation and relax other groups with neuro-modulators to achieve the best results.

Tacoma Facial Plastic Surgeon

Electric stimulation machines on the face

The electric stimulation machines might help, but they will never be a substitute for a facelift.  They will never get the tissues back to where they belong, as everyting droops and sags.  The best solution for this is a facelift in good and experienced hands.

Alberto Arguello, MD
Costa Rica Plastic Surgeon

Microcurrent

I have seen good results with products like NuFace, but if you are really in need of a facelift, there is no amount of microcurrent that can get you those results.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

You may see firming, but it will not rival the results of a facelift.

To an extent, these machines can prove effective however the effect is temporary. In addition, these results will not be on a par with those of a facelift and should not be considered as an alternative

Electrical stimulation to firm muscles of the face

Unfortunately the answer to this is probably not! There are a lot of things on the internet and late night TV that claim amazing things about tightening the face in minutes. However, the old adage of "if its to good to be true, it probably is" holds when it  comes to electrical stimulation. My best advice is to see a board certified plastic surgeon for a thorough review. I hope this helps

Ritu Chopra, MD

The idea of micro-current and electrical stimulation to the facial muscles to "firm up" or tighten the face does not work. It is a scam to call it a non surgical facelift, it isn't. The facial muscles are not striated muscles. They do not hypertrophy, grow or get bigger with stimulation or exercise. Your eyelids aren't bulging with muscles because you are blinking 25,000 times a day. Please consult a board certifidied facial plastic /plastic surgeon to be evaluated.

James Shire, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon

Electrical Stimulation (e-stim) for muscle growth or muscle bulk or as as substitute for resistance exercise

Electrical stimulation has been used to maintain muscle growth/volume to prevent atrophy in cases of denervation (nerve injury) or when resistance is eliminated (zero gravity enviroments that occurs with astronauts) but it is my understanding that it has not been successful in enhancing muscle growth or bulk.

Electrical stimulation for face

t my knowledge there is not scientific evidence that "face firming machines" will help tighten facial muscles. I would highly recommend that you seek a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon to get an expert opinion as to what procedure(s) would be best for you .

Michael H. Wojtanowski, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Facelift vs. electrical stimulation of facial muscles

There is no conclusive scientific data yet, confirming electrical stimulation helps to firm up the facial muscles.

In fact, none of the "non surgical" modalities can achieve what a surgical facelift can in terms of structural change (tightening the SMAS, excision of loose skin, getting rid of the folds & jowls), the final facial rejuvenation (when combined with other procedures such as bleeps & fat transfers) & the longevity of outcome.

Electrical Stimulation for facial rejuvenation

The electric stimulation machines might help to improve muscle tones, but facial laxity is due to laxity of SMAS, which is not typical muscle that would respond to electrical stimulation. They will never be a substitute for a good facelift. They will remove excess skin.

Kevin Sadati, DO