Will Electric Stimulation Machines Help Firm Facial Muscles?

What do you think about using an electrical stimulation machine to firm up facial muscles? I'm on a facial exercise regimen - which I'm going to try for 4 mos & I also have a electrical muscle stimulator - which I'm using on my facial muscles - we'll see what happens.

Electrical stimulation to help lift the face and firm facial muscles

The verdict is still out on this one. We see patients with facial paralysis and its very obvious that  knocking out facial muscles causes severe droop in the face and around the eyes. Yet we also see muscle hypertrophy as an undesirable aging effect in the forehead, neck and jaw region. I think that eventually we will tailor our treatment plans to selectively train and firm up certain facial muscle groups with electro-stimulation and relax other groups with neuro-modulators to achieve the best results.

Tacoma Facial Plastic Surgeon

Electric stimulation machines on the face

The electric stimulation machines might help, but they will never be a substitute for a facelift.  They will never get the tissues back to where they belong, as everyting droops and sags.  The best solution for this is a facelift in good and experienced hands.

Alberto Arguello, MD
Costa Rica Plastic Surgeon

You may see firming, but it will not rival the results of a facelift.

To an extent, these machines can prove effective however the effect is temporary. In addition, these results will not be on a par with those of a facelift and should not be considered as an alternative

Electrical stimulation to firm muscles of the face

Unfortunately the answer to this is probably not! There are a lot of things on the internet and late night TV that claim amazing things about tightening the face in minutes. However, the old adage of "if its to good to be true, it probably is" holds when it  comes to electrical stimulation. My best advice is to see a board certified plastic surgeon for a thorough review. I hope this helps

Ritu Chopra, MD

The idea of micro-current and electrical stimulation to the facial muscles to "firm up" or tighten the face does not work. It is a scam to call it a non surgical facelift, it isn't. The facial muscles are not striated muscles. They do not hypertrophy, grow or get bigger with stimulation or exercise. Your eyelids aren't bulging with muscles because you are blinking 25,000 times a day. Please consult a board certifidied facial plastic /plastic surgeon to be evaluated.

James Shire, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon

Electrical Stimulation (e-stim) for muscle growth or muscle bulk or as as substitute for resistance exercise

Electrical stimulation has been used to maintain muscle growth/volume to prevent atrophy in cases of denervation (nerve injury) or when resistance is eliminated (zero gravity enviroments that occurs with astronauts) but it is my understanding that it has not been successful in enhancing muscle growth or bulk.

Muscles to rejuvenate the face

Our faces ages for a handful of different reasons. I will list them in order of significance.

# 1 our skin ages. Sun, wind and time age the skin. It loses elasticity and collagen. This allows it to lengthen and sag. Laser and fat transfer treats this.

# 2 we lose fat. Fat drops. The face is divided into fat compartments which are separated by bands of tissues called ligaments. This drop and decent leads to compartmentalization (demarcation of facial subunits). Eye bags are a good example of this. Fat transfer and or a facelift can treat this.

# 3 we lose bone minerals. The orbits become larger. The jaw less defined and the cheek bones less prominent. Augmentation with fillers or fat is the best for this.

# 4 we lose muscle mass. Chronic contraction of the facial muscles is what leads to wrinkles so those who are more expressive will have more wrinkles then those who are quite. Think about a Buddhist Monk for instance. They are not overly expressive. Their faces age quite well.  There are many muscles in the face and this does contribute to facial aging. You will see though that it is # 4 on my list. There are many things, such as sun care, that you should also be doing to maximize your results. As for the efficacy of this product I cannot truly comment. I have no experience with it directly.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Electric Stimulation Machines Help Firm Facial Muscles

The benefit of using electrical stimulation machines to firm facial muscles are greatly debated. Consult in person with a treating physician that you trust as he or she will know you and your expectations.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Electrical stimulation for face

t my knowledge there is not scientific evidence that "face firming machines" will help tighten facial muscles. I would highly recommend that you seek a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon to get an expert opinion as to what procedure(s) would be best for you .

Michael H. Wojtanowski, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Facelift vs. electrical stimulation of facial muscles

There is no conclusive scientific data yet, confirming electrical stimulation helps to firm up the facial muscles.

In fact, none of the "non surgical" modalities can achieve what a surgical facelift can in terms of structural change (tightening the SMAS, excision of loose skin, getting rid of the folds & jowls), the final facial rejuvenation (when combined with other procedures such as bleeps & fat transfers) & the longevity of outcome.