Will Electric Stimulation Machines Help Firm Facial Muscles?

What do you think about using an electrical stimulation machine to firm up facial muscles? I'm on a facial exercise regimen - which I'm going to try for 4 mos & I also have a electrical muscle stimulator - which I'm using on my facial muscles - we'll see what happens.

Electrical stimulation to help lift the face and firm facial muscles

The verdict is still out on this one. We see patients with facial paralysis and its very obvious that  knocking out facial muscles causes severe droop in the face and around the eyes. Yet we also see muscle hypertrophy as an undesirable aging effect in the forehead, neck and jaw region. I think that eventually we will tailor our treatment plans to selectively train and firm up certain facial muscle groups with electro-stimulation and relax other groups with neuro-modulators to achieve the best results.

Tacoma Facial Plastic Surgeon

Electric stimulation machines on the face

The electric stimulation machines might help, but they will never be a substitute for a facelift.  They will never get the tissues back to where they belong, as everyting droops and sags.  The best solution for this is a facelift in good and experienced hands.

Alberto Arguello, MD
Costa Rica Plastic Surgeon

Electrical Stimulation (e-stim) for muscle growth or muscle bulk or as as substitute for resistance exercise

Electrical stimulation has been used to maintain muscle growth/volume to prevent atrophy in cases of denervation (nerve injury) or when resistance is eliminated (zero gravity enviroments that occurs with astronauts) but it is my understanding that it has not been successful in enhancing muscle growth or bulk.

Electrical stimulation for face

t my knowledge there is not scientific evidence that "face firming machines" will help tighten facial muscles. I would highly recommend that you seek a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon to get an expert opinion as to what procedure(s) would be best for you .

Michael H. Wojtanowski, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Facelift vs. electrical stimulation of facial muscles

There is no conclusive scientific data yet, confirming electrical stimulation helps to firm up the facial muscles.

In fact, none of the "non surgical" modalities can achieve what a surgical facelift can in terms of structural change (tightening the SMAS, excision of loose skin, getting rid of the folds & jowls), the final facial rejuvenation (when combined with other procedures such as bleeps & fat transfers) & the longevity of outcome.

Electrical Stimulation for facial rejuvenation

The electric stimulation machines might help to improve muscle tones, but facial laxity is due to laxity of SMAS, which is not typical muscle that would respond to electrical stimulation. They will never be a substitute for a good facelift. They will remove excess skin.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Electrical stimulation for facial muscle firming

Unfortunately, electrical stimulus machines to activate the facial  muscles and strengthen them have not benefited from strong evidence that people actually look better after using them.  We do have good, objective evidence on facelifting that we can improve or eradicate facial features that are associated with aging--jowls, nasolabial folds, flattening of the cheeks, skin excess.   

Facial firming machines

Go ahead and try it since you are already committed. However, more facial expressions just create more lines. That is why we use Botox the opposite effect of what you are doing.

Susan Kaweski, MD

Electrical stimulation and facial muscle firmness.

Electrical stimulators are one of the non-surgical methods to tighten lax facial soft tissues.  Generally, they will yield a small temporary improvement that may be satisfactory in situations with little aging changes but with and significant degree of laxity, results will likely be disappointing.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC, FACS. 

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial msucle stimulation

In my book, this doesn't make sense, many of the lines we see are softened by using botox which relaxes muscles. there is certainly no study that shows improvement in facial appearance through muscle stimulation.

sorry ,but I don't think it will help

best wishes