Will Electric Stimulation Machines Help Firm Facial Muscles?

What do you think about using an electrical stimulation machine to firm up facial muscles? I'm on a facial exercise regimen - which I'm going to try for 4 mos & I also have a electrical muscle stimulator - which I'm using on my facial muscles - we'll see what happens.

Electrical stimulation to help lift the face and firm facial muscles

The verdict is still out on this one. We see patients with facial paralysis and its very obvious that  knocking out facial muscles causes severe droop in the face and around the eyes. Yet we also see muscle hypertrophy as an undesirable aging effect in the forehead, neck and jaw region. I think that eventually we will tailor our treatment plans to selectively train and firm up certain facial muscle groups with electro-stimulation and relax other groups with neuro-modulators to achieve the best results.

Tacoma Facial Plastic Surgeon

The Impact of Electrical Stimulation Devices on Aging

Electrical stimulation devices claim to use low level "micro current" to stimulate facial tone and sculpt the face. While they may provide a very small benefit, they do not prevent or correct facial aging and cannot be used as an alternative to face lift. 

It is important to remember that aging is more than just "skin deep" and its not just about the muscle.. A lot of aging has to do with the deeper structures of the face. Specifically, we lose critical bone and fat from our face as we age. The bone and deep fat are structurally important and are needed to support and provide contour to the overlying skin. The skin itself also ages, becomes increasingly inelastic and can no longer hold its shape resulting in "static wrinkles" and pleats. Finally, the deep fibrous network that anchors our skin to the bone also weakens over time. All these age changes boost the effect of gravity resulting in sagging jowls and necks.

The more you understand about facial aging the clearer it becomes that there are no magic solutions or devices.

Brock Ridenour, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

The idea of micro-current and electrical stimulation to the facial muscles to "firm up" or tighten the face does not work. It is a scam to call it a non surgical facelift, it isn't. The facial muscles are not striated muscles. They do not hypertrophy, grow or get bigger with stimulation or exercise. Your eyelids aren't bulging with muscles because you are blinking 25,000 times a day. Please consult a board certifidied facial plastic /plastic surgeon to be evaluated.

James Shire, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon

Electric stimulation machines on the face

The electric stimulation machines might help, but they will never be a substitute for a facelift.  They will never get the tissues back to where they belong, as everyting droops and sags.  The best solution for this is a facelift in good and experienced hands.

Alberto Arguello, MD
Costa Rica Plastic Surgeon

Electrical stimulation to firm muscles of the face

Unfortunately the answer to this is probably not! There are a lot of things on the internet and late night TV that claim amazing things about tightening the face in minutes. However, the old adage of "if its to good to be true, it probably is" holds when it  comes to electrical stimulation. My best advice is to see a board certified plastic surgeon for a thorough review. I hope this helps

Ritu Chopra, MD

While many patients would love electrical stimulation to work to tighten their face because it seems simple and easy.  The science on this subject is very clear that it does not work at all.  If it works for you it would be a boon to facial paralysis patients but this has been studied extensively as well and the results again show that electrical stimulation has ne benefit.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Electrical Stimulation

My suggestion is to save your money.  Make an appointment to see a board certified plastic surgeon instead.  Have a prove technique performed.

Timothy Treece, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Electric stimulation to tighten the face?

The verdict is not out on this one yet. Time will tell, but I am concerned it will only cause mild muscle hypertrophy or skin improvement without really addressing excessive skin laxity, sagging soft tissue, or significantly tightening the face. I would be cautious with these interventions.

Hope this provides you some guidance!

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Electric Stimulation Machines WILL NOT help Firm or Lift Facial Muscles

No!  To date there is still no technology that will firm facial muscles.  These machines come and go like the tide of the ocean.  I feel bad for the patients that spend several thousand dollars on these “snake oil” non-invasive procedures, only to eventually end up in the office asking for a traditional facelift.  Some things are tried and true, simply because they work, and in this case it is surgery.  Maybe someday the technology will be there, but don’t be someone else’s guinea pig.  If it sounds too good to be true, it is.  These machines usually end up in a closet gathering dust, or are used to hold a door open….

Hope you found this answer helpful.  All the best!

Burke Robinson, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Muscles to rejuvenate the face

Our faces ages for a handful of different reasons. I will list them in order of significance.

# 1 our skin ages. Sun, wind and time age the skin. It loses elasticity and collagen. This allows it to lengthen and sag. Laser and fat transfer treats this.

# 2 we lose fat. Fat drops. The face is divided into fat compartments which are separated by bands of tissues called ligaments. This drop and decent leads to compartmentalization (demarcation of facial subunits). Eye bags are a good example of this. Fat transfer and or a facelift can treat this.

# 3 we lose bone minerals. The orbits become larger. The jaw less defined and the cheek bones less prominent. Augmentation with fillers or fat is the best for this.

# 4 we lose muscle mass. Chronic contraction of the facial muscles is what leads to wrinkles so those who are more expressive will have more wrinkles then those who are quite. Think about a Buddhist Monk for instance. They are not overly expressive. Their faces age quite well.  There are many muscles in the face and this does contribute to facial aging. You will see though that it is # 4 on my list. There are many things, such as sun care, that you should also be doing to maximize your results. As for the efficacy of this product I cannot truly comment. I have no experience with it directly.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon