Will Electric Stimulation Machines Help Firm Facial Muscles?

What do you think about using an electrical stimulation machine to firm up facial muscles? I'm on a facial exercise regimen - which I'm going to try for 4 mos & I also have a electrical muscle stimulator - which I'm using on my facial muscles - we'll see what happens.

Electrical stimulation to help lift the face and firm facial muscles

The verdict is still out on this one. We see patients with facial paralysis and its very obvious that  knocking out facial muscles causes severe droop in the face and around the eyes. Yet we also see muscle hypertrophy as an undesirable aging effect in the forehead, neck and jaw region. I think that eventually we will tailor our treatment plans to selectively train and firm up certain facial muscle groups with electro-stimulation and relax other groups with neuro-modulators to achieve the best results.

Tacoma Facial Plastic Surgeon

Electric stimulation machines on the face

The electric stimulation machines might help, but they will never be a substitute for a facelift.  They will never get the tissues back to where they belong, as everyting droops and sags.  The best solution for this is a facelift in good and experienced hands.

Alberto Arguello, MD
Costa Rica Plastic Surgeon

Electrical Stimulation (e-stim) for muscle growth or muscle bulk or as as substitute for resistance exercise

Electrical stimulation has been used to maintain muscle growth/volume to prevent atrophy in cases of denervation (nerve injury) or when resistance is eliminated (zero gravity enviroments that occurs with astronauts) but it is my understanding that it has not been successful in enhancing muscle growth or bulk.

Electrical stimulation for facial muscle firming

Unfortunately, electrical stimulus machines to activate the facial  muscles and strengthen them have not benefited from strong evidence that people actually look better after using them.  We do have good, objective evidence on facelifting that we can improve or eradicate facial features that are associated with aging--jowls, nasolabial folds, flattening of the cheeks, skin excess.   

Facial firming machines

Go ahead and try it since you are already committed. However, more facial expressions just create more lines. That is why we use Botox the opposite effect of what you are doing.

Susan Kaweski, MD

Electrical stimulation and facial muscle firmness.

Electrical stimulators are one of the non-surgical methods to tighten lax facial soft tissues.  Generally, they will yield a small temporary improvement that may be satisfactory in situations with little aging changes but with and significant degree of laxity, results will likely be disappointing.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC, FACS. 

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial msucle stimulation

In my book, this doesn't make sense, many of the lines we see are softened by using botox which relaxes muscles. there is certainly no study that shows improvement in facial appearance through muscle stimulation.

sorry ,but I don't think it will help

best wishes

Electrical stimulation to firm facial muscles

A facelift procedurewill give you the most profound results to correct sagging facial muscles and skin. Electrical stimulation cannot reverse sagging subcutaneous fatty tissue and muscles associated with aging. A facelift is designed to successfully restore volume loss back to the face, lift sagging facial tissues and remove excess skin and tissue from the face resulting in a more youthful, rejuvenated facial appearance. There are countless non-invasive treatments on the market promising to tightening loose facial skin and muscles that do not produce results. To truly correct the problem of loose facial muscles and skin a facelift would be the most appropriate approach.

Scott Chapin, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Snake oil

We know that this won't work for you.  If you watch someone with Parkinson's disease they have reduction in their wrinkles because they have less movement but they don't sag because they don't lose tone.  There are plenty of examples of how facial expression increases the lines on the face rather than decreasing them. Facial palsy patients might have their face sag because they have no tone in their muscles of facial expression but they also lose all their "lines".  They show us that muscle activity induces lines.

Firming Facial Muscles

Absolutely not. If you think about muscle activity improving facial tone, given the amount we move our faces based on the daily activities of just talking and eating, we would all have perfect tone!

Louis P. Bucky, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon