Scalp picker for about 3 years, I've heard that this causes hairloss, will the hair I lost regrow?

I've been losing hair and noticing my hair gets thinner.

Loss of hair is a natural process when it is between the limits that the body can restore them. When the capacity of the body to restore the hair loss is beaten by the excessive hair loss then we can name this situation something that should be treated. To obtain alive hair follicles implanted in higher rates, the latest technique being used is not the only manner, it is also affected by compliance of implantation area that we found a better way to improve as a result of our researches, The Organic Hair Transplantation. By this new and unique Organic Hair Transplantation Technique, before the extraction and implantation processes; we regenerate the implantation area with injection of stem cell enriched fat tissue. Regeneration of cells in target area before FUE transplantation with the support of stromal stem cells results in higher rate of alive thicker hair follicles.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Scalp picking

picking at your scalp or pulling your hair causes damage to the hair bulb, this will lead to hair loss that is permanent. You may also have an underlying hair loss pattern causing hair loss as well. Your best bet is to see a hair restoration surgeon who can evaluate your scalp and hair, as well as provide options to you.

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

Compulsive hair pulling vs compulsive picking

There are two separate entities - compulsive hair pulling or trichotillomania, and compulsive skin picking or dermatillomania. These are separate entities.

Skin picking results in ulceration and destruction of the hair follicle so hair loss is permanent.

Repetitive hair pulling results in reduced hair growth and eventually the affected hairs stop growing. 

Both can be treated by hair transplantation but this should only be considered several years after complete cessation of the compulsive habit, verified by friends and relatives, and on patients who are not on medication to control the behaviour.

Greg Williams, FRCS (Plast)
London Hair Restoration Surgeon

Trichotillomania

People who pull out their own hair compulsively will often end up with irreversible hair loss.  Do not attempt hair transplantation since this seems only to reactivate the urge to pull!  Psychotherapy and a drug called NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine) may also help.

Good luck!

Sara Wasserbauer, MD
Walnut Creek Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Pulling-Trichotillomania

Pulling hair out will eventually kill the growing part of the follicle and the hair will not grow back. 

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

Regrowing Hair with prp and progesterone

I suggest seeing an expert to evaluate your hair loss and consider the best treatment options. There are great non-invasive options like PRP/progesterone and/or hair transplantation. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Trichotillomania

People who pick at their hair will lose the hair in the area that they pick and eventually develop a bald spot that will not reverse.  See the link below for more informaiton

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon