I am only 20, can my sunken eyes be naturally reversed? (photos)

In the last few months my eyes have drastically changed to the point where I can't even comfortably look someone in the eye without worrying how bad my eyes look to them. I am only 20 years old and I consider myself on the healthy side. I eat right, I don't drink alcohol, not a cigarette smoker, and I don't wear make up. I want to decrease or finish this problem naturally and inexpensively. Please help, I'm too young for fillers, injections, and surgeries.

Doctor Answers 6

Tired appearing eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear Michelle,
The question you ask is a very good one and it often relates to the anatomy of your eye and facial skeleton as well as overall physical changes in your body (age, weight loss, sleep loss, dehydration, ancestry, etc.).  The most important thing in this entire process is a comprehensive evaluation by a specialist.  Often individuals who have early signs of fatigue or aging in the eyes have a familial, an anatomic, or combined reason for the changes they see in her eyes, especially along the lower eyelid in the tear trough area.  Hopefully this is helpful to you as you find the right answer for you.
Be healthy and be well,
James M.  Ridgway, M.D., FACS

Reversing Sunken Eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. I understand your preoccupation with this area of your body, especially when it effects your communication with others. Knowing that you do not want to have fillers is understandable. There are various factors which can contribute to darkness or a sunken look under your eyes: weight loss, hereditary, loss of volume with age, even nutrition to a point. However, by your photo, it looks like you would really benefit from a filler. Some fillers are metabolized faster than others, but all will give you an immediate result that you will see "before your very eyes." An experienced injector can help restore your confidence in this area. I hope this helps your decision making process.  Thanks again for a great question.


Kristin Tarbet, MD, FACS

Hollows under the eyes in your 20s

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The dark area below your eye near the nose is called the tear trough. Everyone has them, but the color and depth may increase as you age or lose weight. 

A safe and effective way to address them is with a facial filler. I like to use a blunt microcannula technique in this area to decrease the chance of bumpiness or vessel injury.

The only potential natural way to change the tear trough is to gain weight. This isn't a great strategy, because of the health implications. 

I recommend a consultation with photographs to analyze your face and tear troughs. Your provider can discuss treatment options that are safe and appropriate for you.

You might also like...

How to improve dark circles

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The only natural way to improve hollowness is to gain weight which is not ideal. The best solution is likely filler injection. Fat injection is another option but less predictable. See link and video below.

The under eye circle is a very common facial feature.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The very best option for treating this is actually under eye hyaluronic acid filler.  I would not recommend surgery for this as an initial approach.  The filler will last a year or more.  The key is finding the right injector to provide this service.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Hollowing under the eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for sharing your concerns. You are developing hollowing under the eyes. This can easily be treated with the injection of dermal fillers. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do yourself to correct this problem. See an eyelid specialist in person for full evaluation.
Good luck,

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.