TT and Lipo in Colombia and Dom. Rep vs the USA

Its clear to see that dr. in Dom Rep and Colombia offer a more curvy, dramatic look for TT & lipo. I've read its because overseas they are allowed to take more out. In the states the dr. have to be more conservative is that true? I love the post pictures for Dom Rep & Colombian surgeries (very Jlo & Kim K.) but why can't I get that same look in the NY/NJ area? Do I have to travel international to achieve those same results? Thanks!

Having surgery abroad

I don't recommend having surgery in another country as this can be risky - unqualified surgeon, what happens if their is a complication, no long term follow up, etc. See my link below Couple of options - one being: financing, I recommenced contacting Care Credit or a similar well establish lending institution for cosmetic surgery. In the long run of course it will cost you more because of interestcharges. Choosing a plastic surgeon because of his/her cheap price is fraught with danger and selects in particular for non board certified surgeons often not even plastic surgeons who are advertising. One thing you might look for is an academic training center where plastic surgery residents supervised by their professors may have a "residents clinic" with steeply discounted rates. Be careful. 

Medical tourism

We are limited in terms of how how much fat can be removed for safety reasons. Liposuction involves the introduction of saline solution which has metabolic consequences. To the extent that this is ignored by foreign surgeons, that does not speak well with respect to training, motivation or ethics. In New York, a week does not go by when my staff does not receive a call asking if we can fix something gone amiss in surgery performed in the DR. Our laws exist for a reason. The United States has the largest number of highly trained plastic surgeons in the world, many of whom practice in New York.  See one of them because it is possible that your goals can be achieved here.

Patients come to the United States, and in particular to New York, for plastic surgery. because of the excellence of surgery and because of the high level of safety. In addition, young plastic surgeons from all over come to the U.S. for further raining. We see many complications arising in DR and patients often have difficulty in finding an American PS to take care of them. You will not hear much about these on the internet.. Results after surgery are highly dependent on the pre-op status of the patient. I would suggest that you consult with a Board Certified PS in your area( NY or NJ) and express your goals and concerns as well as look at many before and after photos. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

Medical Tourism

Thank you for your excellent question.  I can understand how things may appear different between the DR and US doctors in terms of surgical outcomes, but remember that each patient's anatomy and expectations play a role in their final appearance.  That said if you do your research, are able to properly vet your surgeon through the ASPS, and can ensure there is a surgeon to manage any complications when you return home you may do well with medical tourism.  Read the link below for more useful information. 

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question.   There are many things to consider when having surgery.  The top concern is safety.  There are strict standards in the US for safety that should never be compromised.  As surgeons in the United States, we have all taken care of patients with complications who went to foreign countries for cosmetic surgery and regretted doing so.  I cannot stress enough how important it is to have a surgeon who can provide you with reliable follow-up after surgery.  Cost savings is not the only aspect you should consider when choosing a surgeon.With that being said, there are plenty of great and innovative plastic surgeons in NYC you can see.  If you are an appropriate candidate, a tummy tuck can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Having surgery at a reduced rate in a foreign country sounds appealing, but there are many concerns that you should consider. Generally, there is no preoperative direct discussion with the surgeon who is going to perform the surgery in order to establish any reasonable doctor/patient relationship. There are often language barriers that can interfere with your care. Even if your surgeon speaks English, the ancillary personnel like the nurses and the anesthesia provider who are involved in your care, may not. The quality of hospitals outside of the U.S. varies tremendously. Some are accredited and inspected, others are not. Even if the hospital has reasonable facilities and the surgeon has training, which may not be up to the quality of training of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, the quality of the nurses and others involved in your care may be very different from that in the United States. They may have little or no formal medical education, training or credentialing.

There is usually little follow-up care. In addition, the general sanitary conditions often increase the risk of infections, including some that are generally rare in this country.
There are  also major potential problems that may occur with traveling long distances just before and after surgery, like dehydration and fatigue, but more importantly complications including clots in the legs called deep venous thrombosis and clots to the lung which may be life threatening.

In most countries, if a problem develops, you will have little legal recourse and no ability to file a complaint either against the hospital or about the surgeon. If complications.,develop after you return home, it may be difficult or impossible to obtain care from your local physicians. If problems do occur, the cost of subsequent care can be far greater than the reduced cost of the original surgery. While there are well-trained physicians in many other countries, I would suggest that you travel for pleasure or business and have your surgery closer to home.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California  

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Be careful

Do not believe all the pictures Lets be honest if you have a significant complication in a foreign country what will you do. What if you have to go to hospital? What if you die would anyone every know? We have rules in the USA to protect patients from harm. The foreign doctors trolling for your business are doing it for money not any other reason and they know you have no recourse if any problems. Good Luck!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

It is not advisable to undergo surgeries abroad as it would be risky to have a non-certified surgeon aside from the fact that it would be too costly to have a follow up check up or a long term consultation.

Charles Nduka, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Can surgeons outside the US achieve a better result because they are able to accept more risk.

This is an interesting question that merits some reflection to answer properly. Most of the time plastic surgery tourism is done for economic reasons as one may get a better price in another country, but are there truly a difference in results? As far as the results of liposuction in DR or Columbia being curvier, I must say that if this is in dead true, it must be because the patient population is already that way with larger and more pronounced buttocks and narrower waists. It is also possible that the surgery is done more aggressively which will definitely increase the risks of complication. I believe that there are individual surgeons in the US and other areas of the globe that can achieve better results through their experience and talent, but I don't think that a group of surgeons from another country can achieve better results unless they are working on a different patient population with different racial characteristics and or they are taking unusual risk. Going abroad is risky because other countries may not follow the same standards that we do in United States. Therefore if additional risk is taken it could have disastrous consequences.