Eyelid drooping - age 31. (photo)

I'm 31 and have recently noticed one of my eyelids is starting to droop . Any advice is welcome ! Would simple Botox of the eyebrow help ?

Eyelid Drooping after Botox

Thank you for your question. Botox is used cosmetically to remove wrinkles by temporarily paralyzing muscles. You can correct your droopy eyelid by having a Botox brow lift. This is a temporary option which elevates the brow and can pull up the eyelid a small amount. This procedure should be done by an expert with an understanding of facial anatomy. Best of Luck!

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Eyelid ptosis (drooping) and Botox injection

Botox can provide a 1-3 mm eyebrow lift in most patients. This would be a good option to start out with. However, you will probably, at some point, need to consider surgical correction (blepharoplasty).

Droopy Eyelid Solutions--Botox and lasers

With the right injection locations, you can lift the eyebrows with Botox which can help somewhat with droopy eyelids. I recommend Botox combined with lasers to give the best results. I suggest speaking to your injection physician about your concerns.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Eyelid Drooping / Botox

There are many causes of a droopy eyelid - including neurologic, mechanical, and age-related conditions.  I would recommend seeking the opinion of an experienced oculoplastic surgeon.  If your droopy eyelid is determined to be age-related, you can consider both surgical and non-surgical options.  As you mentioned, one non-surgical option is the Botox brow lift.  Your surgeon will be able to advise if this treatment would be right for you.

Paul B. Johnson, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox for droopy eyelids

Thank you for your question brandibreakfield85. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. There are multiple options for droopy eyelids. A simple one is to have a Botox brow lift. This is a temporary and conservative option which elevates the brow and can pull up the lid a small amount. Laser skin tightening and other skin tightening modalities can also be used to tighten the eyelid skin and improve a droopy eyelid. The most invasive, but most permanent, treatment is a surgical blepharoplasty. For my patients I recommend that they start with a conservative option first to see how it goes. If further improvement is desired a more aggressive approach can be taken later. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Droopy eyelid

Hello. Thank you for your question.  In you case, it is very important to determine whether the issue is related to excess skin of your upper eyelid  or due to ptosis (droopiness) of your eyebrow.  It is difficult to tell from the photos and an in-person evaluation with a board certified plastic surgeon is definitely recommended.  Botox may provide some correction if placed properly in the lateral brow/orbicularis muscle.  Botox in your forehead or frontalis may exacerbate the problem.  It may be worth trying first as it is low cost and minimally invasive.  However, surgery such as a temporal brow lift or upper blepharoplasty may be a more permanent, more precise solution. Good luck  

Brian A. Pinsky, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Botox and/or blepharoplasty

A Botox brow lift would be first to try as it will lift the upper eyelid folds too and relief the drooping. A blepharoplasty would also be an excellent choice since both the upper lid folds are prominent enough to benefit. Hope this helps

Elba Pacheco, MD
Annapolis Oculoplastic Surgeon

Droopy Lids

Sometimes Botox can help raise the eyebrows one millimeter or two.  It can make the excess skin on your upper lid look better. It is worth trying botox. If you are not satisfied with the outcome, you may consider removal of the excess skin with an upper eyelid blepharoplasty.

Jean Keamy, MD
Westborough Ophthalmologist

Botox may help

By looking at your picture, you could try to do Botox in the upper crowsfeet area to lift one side. It may help to raise the brow slightly, but you also have laxity of the upper lids.  The laxity of the upper lids requires a blepharoplasty, Botox will not help that. Also, if Botox is unsuccessful for raising your brow a temporal brow lift would be another option.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Droopy eyelid will not improve with Botox

If you have never had a droopy eyelid, I would suggest you see an ophthalmologist or a neurologist. While a droopy brow can be improved with Botox, a droopy eyelid may be a sign of something more serious.  It may be simply a tear in your levater mechanism or it could be a neurologic,vascular or neuromuscular problem. If this is new see a doctor for evaluation. 

Carlos Wolf, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon