How many units of Botox in the forehead is effective?

I was told i got 30 units of botox in my forehead last month. My forehead was so smooth and nice but now my wrinkles are coming back. How many units are effective in the forehead? I also got Botox and filler in my procerus. Thanks.

How many units of Botox for the forehead

Average dose for the forehead is between 5 to 10 Units of Botox depending on the patient. More in younger, less in older patients. I usually recommend to treat the eyebrow too to get a brow lift and that usually takes between 20 to 25 Units. The effect usually last between 3-4 months in most people. 1 month is very fast for the Botox to wear off. I would see my injector and discuss this with him. Good luck.

Livingston Physician

Botox dosing

Typically dosing is 16-24 units for the glabella and 6-10 units for the frontalis. The doses required  maybe higher based on gender (men typically require higher doses then females) and muscle strength. Botox should last somewhere between 3-4 months in the majority of patients. 

Botox - How Many Units is the Right Amount?

Thank you for your great question. The amount of units that is "correct" for the forehead will vary from patient to patient according to their muscle activity and their static and dynamic lines & wrinkles. If you received 30 units and you feel as though it didn't last long (typically Botox should last 3 - 4 months) you may require more. Return to your plastic surgeon and discuss this issue, he or she should be able to resolve it for you. Best of Luck!!

Botox does for forehead

Thank you for your question dochiya. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. Most people enjoy the results of their Botox treatment for 3-4 months, although I have some patients who enjoy their results for 2-2.5 months and others who enjoy their results for 9-12 months. The dose range in the forehead varies from 30 to 50 (or more) units. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Forehead Botox

While there is variation in the amount of Botox that an individual may need for these areas, typically women need approximately 30 units for the glabella and forehead. I would recommend you follow up with your physician on any of your concerns.

Pamela Stuart, MD
San Jose Physician

Botox treatment of forehead

30 units seems like an adequate dose for the forehead. It is enough to treat some of the glabella and frontalis at the same time. Treating both gives the best results. Glabella is typically 20-30 in a female, and forehead is 6-12.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox Amounts Vary Greatly

The typical standard Botox Cosmetic doses for the glabella (in between the eyes) is 20 units and the forehead (frontalis muscle) is about 10 units on average.  These doses can go up or down based on how strong the muscles are and how much movement you want.  I would go back to your treating doctor to explain what is going on and see if he/she can add more or "touch-up" the area to make you happy.

Jason D. Bloom, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for the forehead

The forehead is a funny area that can need varying amounts of Botox in different people.  It can range from 12 units to 30 units and the effects can last a relatively short period of time in some people (1-2 months).  I would check in with your provider because there are certain things that can be done to improve the longevity, like placement of the Botox, dilution, etc.  Good luck

Seth Kates, MD
Worcester Dermatologic Surgeon

The amount of Botox needed to treat the forehead can vary from patient to patient, but I would say an average amount would be about 20-25 units.  Since you received 30 units, I would say this should be an adequate dose for most people.  If you feel your wrinkles are coming back a month after your treatment, I would contact the physician who treated you so that you can be evaluated.  It may be possible to have a touch up treatment to help.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

The "forehead" is not the forehead.

The region of the face located above the eyebrow hairs is indeed divided into two functional areas: (1) the spot between the eyebrows, just at the top of the nose; and (2) the space above this that extends all the way to the hairline.  These should be treated differently, and your injector should be aware of this.  Incidentally, the Procerus, which you have mentioned, is part of the first region described above. 

David Owers, MD
Vancouver Physician