What causes swelling after botox? (Photos)

It's been 5 days after jaw botox. I had swollen jaw 1 day after the injection. Now it looks better but not that normal. Now my face look asymmetry. My doctor said it will be better in 2 weeks. I can feel that the muscle where the injection touched is lump and quite hard. Is that normal?

Swelling after Botox Injection

Thank you for your question. Botox is used cosmetically to remove wrinkles by temporarily paralyzing muscles. With any injection there is a risk of swelling, bruising and lumps. This usually subsides in 2 weeks. I would give it another week to see what your final results will be. After two weeks you should have a follow up with your injector so they can assess your results. If you still have any concerns I recommend contacting your physician. Best of Luck!

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Swelling after Botox injection

Both swelling and bruising can be seen after any injectable treatment including Botox. I suspect you probably have a bruise related to the Botox injection. This should improve over the next few days. 

Shaun Patel, MD
Miami Physician

Swelling after Botox

Thank you for your question fernchilling. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. With any injection there is a risk for pain, bleeding, bruising, infection, redness, bumps, and swelling. This typically subsides in two weeks. We have our patients return at that time to assess their results. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Swelling after masseter Botox injection

It is possible that is some bruising from the injection of Botox in the masseters. It should improve in the next week.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox for jaw reduction

It is possible that you have small haematoma (blood bruise) after the botox injection.  This should resolve in time (1-3 weeks).  Botox on its own does can cause a slight swelling in the immediate short term due to the saline volume in the injection.  This wears off in 20-60 minutes after injection.  Hope this is helpful.