Lipoma on my ankle causing acute pain. (photos)

Do you think this could be causing this pressure. It is not really big. The pain radiates from exactly the area under the lipoma. I don't have diabetes but have osteoarthritis. I do recall within the last 3 months when walking, out of no where, this pain presented in this area. I noted it but discounted it and didn't give it a thought. It was like an electric shock. What do you think? I asked my Dr. For a surgical referral. I don't have the pain now. I did have a total knee replacement 2012 at HSS/NYC

Ankle lipoma

Sorry about your uncomfortable lipoma. Most lipomas do not cause pain but some do and this is generally thought to be due to pressure on muscles or nerves. Removal should eliminate the pain; however pain is a complicated issue. It is possible that removal of the lipoma may NOT eliminate the pain. Most likely it should since the pain is directly under the mass, but rarely, the pain persists after lipoma removal. It is felt that the pain must be caused by something else in those cases but the source of the pain may not be identifiable.Good luck and take care.

Lipoma on my ankle causing acute pain.

Thank you for your question and photograph.  Though lipomas are benign fat tumors that are largely asymptomatic, they can grow enough to supply pressure to surrounding nerves causing intermittent episodes of pain.  If you pain has resolved, there is no need for surgical removal, but if the pain returns, or if the cosmetic appearance troubles you, you can have the lipoma removed, typically with a small in-office procedure.