What Is the Least Invasive Way to Remove the Neck Wattle? (Photo)

all i want is rid of my hereditary wattle could a direct neck lift be a option i am a 60 year old woman i want the least invasive procedure there is.

Least invasive Treatment of Neck Wattle

It is very difficult to tell exactly what would work for you from one picture. If the wattle is mostly fat with the skin pushed out, then liposuction could give you significant improvement with little "invasion." For anything else, the only way to improve the area is a full face/neck lift. Nothing else will reduce the excess skin with a reasonable scar. I have never seen a direct excision scar that I thought was acceptable.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Necklift options

For less invasive neck-tightening, I recommend Ulthera (Ultherapy). Using ultrasound technology, Ulthera uses focused ultrasound to lift and tighten loose skin over time, without any downtime. However, nothing can quite compare with the fantastic results of a surgical necklift, which you may wish to combine with a facelift for the best outcome. Non-surgical procedures have to be repeated to maintain the look you want - which means that in the end you'll likely end up spending as much as you would have on a necklift, which is longer lasting.

Consult a Board-certified, experienced facial plastic surgeon in person to discuss your best option.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

I would not normally recommend it because it will leave a visible scar on the neck.

While a direct neck lift is a minimally invasive and effective option, I would not normally recommend it because it will leave a visible scar on the neck. Instead, I would most likely recommend a regular neck lift or lower face lift. There are more incisions, but the scarring is much less visible and the results are dramatic. When performing a face or neck lift, I use the most minimally invasive techniques and prioritize patient comfort and satisfaction while still performing the most thorough and effective surgery possible. I always tighten the deeper underlying tissues as well as redraping the skin to create long-lasting results, and patients find that they look much more youthful with practically invisible scars. If your turkey wattle is caused mainly by fat, then liposuction or Kybella, which is an injectable fat-melting treatment, could be great options as well. I hope this helps.

Just the neck wattle

The BEST appearance would be a full necklift.

The front of the neck could be improved with a small incision under the chin and removing the excess fatty tissue and repairing the Platysma neck muscles

Richard A. D’Amico, MD, FACS
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Least invasive neck lift

The direct neck lift, sometimes called an anterior neck lift, would be a decent option if you are more interested in getting rid of the neck tissue but are not too concerned about the resulting scar which is difficult to hide.  The direct necklift provides a better functional option that is less invasive and takes care of the problem but it creates a scar that is visible. 

Another more recent option is the use of Kybella in the neck to give you some tightening and fat removal at the same time without surgery. 

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck rejuvenation options

Thanks for sharing. Current neck rejuvenation treatments:
  1. Surgical Neck lift* with a lower facelift would be the gold standard and get you the best results
  2. Surgical Neck lift* would be the next best procedure
  3. Neck liposuction and or laser lipolysis if only fat removal is required, typically in a younger patient
  4. Ultherapy is an FDA approved non invasive tightening using ultrasound technology
  5. Kybella is a new FDA approved injection that melts fat under the chin
*It is important the a Neck lift involves some liposuction and importantly a platysmaplasty which is a procedure that tightens the underlying loose neck muscles.

Based on your photos option 1 would really be needed to get the results you are likely desiring. 
Talk to several board certified surgeons experienced in face and neck lifting.

Raymond E. Lee, MD

A lower face and neck can be preformed with local anesthesai and twilight sedation without the need for general anesthesia

Based on the photograph you provided, your best option is a minimally invasive lower face and neck lift. This procedure can be performed with local anesthesia and twilight sedation without the need for general anesthesia. Please look at the link below to see various results with this technique.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Laser Assisted Weekend Facelift

It is possible that you may be a candidate for what I have termed, "The Laser Assisted Weekend Necklift:" It is a minimally invasive procedure.

Cervicofacial Liposculpture is first employed to contour the unfavorable fatty changes seen in the face and neck as time passes by, such as the ‘Turkey neck’ and ‘double chin’.

Careful attention is then turned to tightening the neck muscles and eliminating neck bands. Finally, I employ laser technology to ‘resurface’ the underside of the neck skin, thereby ‘shrinkwrapping’ the skin of the neck restoring a youthful contour.

A consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon will help determine which procedures will provide the best results for you.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removal of "neck wattle."

The neck wattle is a combination of excess skin, fat above the platysma muscle and fat below the platysma muscle.  Removing "just the wattle" involves more than meets the eye. It is not a simple procedure, and, in fact, it can be very challenging.  As others have mentioned, a comprehensive face and neck lift is sometimes the best approach. An in-person consultation will give you the best answers so I would encourage you. Best of luck. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Hereditary neck fat and turkey neck

To rejuvenate the neck, fat must be removed above and below the platysma muscle. In addition, excess neck skin must be tightened. The muscles in the neck must also tightened in addition to removing the jowls that are sagging across the jawline into the neck. A comprehensive face/neck lift  will give you the best result. For many examples, please see the link below to our facelift photo gallery.