Diastasis Recti Repair in an Adult Male

I am a 36, male and I have had diastatis recti since 2007. It is the result of having a ventral hernia repair and consequently getting an infection. They left me open to drain and my muscles never lined up again. My muscles seperate about 2.5 finger wide and 3 inches top to bottom. Because I am thin, I feel my stomach always looks like it's protruding. It is taking quite a toll psychologically in terms of body image etc... I am wondering if I am stuck with this or if there is help out there. Please let me know!

Doctor Answers 17

Tummy tuck after ventral hernia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Indeed tummy tuck may be able to help you. You have significant abdominal wall laxity both from the ventral hernia as well as the infection. I suggest you find a board-certified plastic surgeon and go in for a consultation. You absolutely need a physical exam before anyone can give you a definitive answer as to whether or not you're a surgical candidate--I believe there is hope, however!

Manhattan Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Diastasis repair in men

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes, there is a diastasis repair that can be performed in men. Like Dr. Aldea has stated, you will need your old records for the doctor to evaluate. You should be seen by someone with experience in abdominal wall reconstruction, as it may require some additional procedures or techniques such as mesh, or alloderm type products to secure the closure. Sometimes going to a major teaching center would be a good option. Good luck with your search.

Tummy Tuck

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I do believe you would benefit from an tummy tuck and repair of the abdominal wall. Because of your history, any board certified plastic surgeon would be concerned and prepared to deal with the repair that has been done in the past. I would consult with a surgeon to get a thorough history and physical as your case is not straight forward, but you definitely have options!

You might also like...

Male Diastasis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. It appears that you have significant abdominal wall laxity. Given the history of ventral hernia repair and complicated post-operative course, I think an abdominal CT scan would be a smart first step to evaluate if you have a hernia recurrence or simply rectus diastasis. If it is a diastasis with no hernia recurrence, a mini or full tummy tuck should be considered to repair the muscles and remove excess skin. If you have a hernia recurrence, a component separation procedure may be necessary to restore the integrity of the abdominal wall. Good luck.

“This answer has been solicited without seeing the patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a board certified plastic surgeon for appropriate care."

Diastasis Recti Repair in an Adult Male

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question and photographs, and I am sorry to hear about the psychological toll that your diastasis has caused you.  Based on a physical exam, I think you are an excellent candidate for a muscle repair.  The first step is diagnosis, to ensure that your muscle separation is a diastasis and not a hernia.  Once determined, the decision as to the best approach needs to be done.  If you have vertical skin laxity, using a lower tummy tuck incision will allow for repair of your diastasis while removing any excess skin to help with your abdominal contour.  If you have skin excess in both a vertical and horizontal excess, use of your vertical scar may permit a more powerful removal of skin that can transform your stomach.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon who can walk you through the important steps of the various tummy tuck procedures. 

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 80 reviews

Diastasis repair in men?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You may be a candidate for a tummy tuck and diastasis repair.  Definitely consult with an expert plastic surgeon to understand your best options.  Your case is unusual because it is a complication from a hernia repair.
Also, make sure you are at your ideal weight for best results.

David Stoker, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 62 reviews

Repair of rectus diastasis in men - Los Angeles

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Repair of the abdominal muscles may be indicated if the muscles are loose. This is performed in men who have loose muscles. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Diastasis recti repair with or without a skin tuck

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes, men can have a diastasis repair.  With your history, it would be best to find out if anything on the inside is adherent to the inside of the area of diastasis.  If this is cleared and you do not have loose skin and fat or a recurrent hernia, there are variations on tummy tucks that include muscle repair with a very limited skin incision and no excision.  I hope you found someone that is experienced with these variations.

Myles Goldflies, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon

Potentially a Tummy Tuck but first a Physical Exam to be Sure.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Of course a physical exam would be needed to say for sure, but from your description of the muscle separation, I think a tummy tuck would help. During surgery, the muscles can be joined back together and sutured to repair the separation. This provides a firmer framework for the skin and overlying tissue. If there’s any excess, it can be removed so your belly is firm and flat again. You’ll want to be sure to work with a board certified plastic surgeon who’s very well-versed in abdominoplasty. Since you had a previous surgery, be sure you have complete medical records on hand for reference if needed.

Diastasis, hernia and TT?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Consider removal of skin to tighten area. If you have  looseness or diastasis then you could get a tummy tuck where the fascia is tightened. If fascia is not loose then lipo. In your situation a tummy tuck will help significantly.good luck!

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.