When can one have sex after gynecomastia surgery and resume other normal activities?

Vigorous activities after gynecomastia surgery

Most patients should be able to result vigorous activities in 2  - 4 week after surgery.  If there is any question it would be best to consult with your plastic surgeon as you may be at an increased risk of post operative bleeding.  

Sex after gynecomastia procedure

Resuming normal activities including sexual activity specifically can occur starting two weeks after the procedure. It really depends on how well you're progressing in your recovery. 

Resuming Activity Following Gynecomastia Surgery

Perhaps this may help provide you some insight. Usually 1 week after #gynecomastia surgery you can begin taking moderate walks or ride a stationary bike. Strenuous workouts or aerobic #exercise can begin around 4 weeks post-op. Please get approval from your doctor before you begin any physical activity and workout regimens.

#SexAfterGynecomastia

Your plastic surgeon will give you the best answer in your specific case about this and sex. For most of my patients I allow sex to begin at 6 weeks . Here are some of the guidelines I give my patients following breast surgery: Following surgery, you will be walking in a bent-over position to keep tension off the newly tightened skin incision site. Although strenuous activity, and lifting more than twenty pounds, must be avoided for 6 weeks, some people can return to work and daily activities as soon as 2 weeks after surgery. Softening of the surgical scars, and improvement of shape may take several months to a year or more. Light activity is comfortable in 10-20 days. No sports or heavy lifting for 6 weeks or more – please discuss with your doctor for specific questions.

About 2-3 weeks

Athletic activities, including sex, usually have to wait until approximately 2 to 3 weeks or longer depending on the type of gynecomastia performed. You should ask your surgeon since they have specific information related to your situation and they may have different guidelines.

Thank you for your question.  The answer is dependent on the technique used.  I do not restrict activity after a liposuction only surgery.  However, if tissue has to be removed through periareolar or other incisions then additional recovery time is needed to avoid seroma, hematoma, or wound complications.  Your surgeon will have a precise answer for you.  Best of luck.  

Jason Mussman, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon