Blepharoplasty before or after intraocular lens surgery?

I would like to eventually have both of these surgeries. I'm wondering what the preferred order of having both of these surgeries.

It really depends on when you are likely to need these procedures.

Cataract surgery has gotten much less traumatic.  Still, upper eyelid ptosis after cataract surgery still is seen.  For that reason, if you are on the cusp of needing cataract surgery, have it first.  If any ptosis does develop after surgery that does not resolve on its own, it can be addressed at the time of the blepharoplasty.  Now it is notoriously difficult to predict when someone is really ready for cataract surgery.  So if this remains simply something that your ophthalmologist mentioned and not really a clinical issue at the moment, it is reasonable to proceed with eyelid surgery.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty before or after intraocular lens surgery

Neither of your surgeries should have a significant impact on the other, assuming you are fully healed and recovered from the first surgery. You should discuss each operation with your respective surgeons and make a decision based on the timing of your recovery as it relates to your personal/social schedule, as the recovery from these two surgeries will be different for each.

Good luck.

Good luck.

Blepharoplasty before or after intraocular lens surgery.

In my experience patients have done it both ways.  You just want to check with each surgeon that the first surgery is completely healed before undertaking the second.

The timing of a blepharoplasty

In general, I would recommend having the intraocular lens surgery first.  However, it would be prudent to see both your plastic surgeon and your ophthalmologist before either surgery so that they can communicate and then coordinate the best surgical plan for you.

The timing of a blepharoplasty

Blepharoplasty before or after intraocular surgery

Thank you for sharing your question. The order of surgery does not matter. Make sure experienced specialists perform each procedure. Good luck,