Lip fillers with herpes simplex virus?

I get cold sores herpe simplex break out maybe 2 times a year. Not bad break outs, but I have herd that getting lip augmentation with filler can cause sever herpes simplex outbreak. Is this true? How can this be prevented?

Lip fillers with herpes simplex virus?

Filler injection in the lips could trigger your herpes outbreak. I would recommend to go to a consultation first and take a preventive couse of anti-viral medication before the injections. Also make sure that you do not have active sores the day of the injection.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Fillers and Herpes

If you have a tendency to have herpes outbreaks I would definitely consider taking Valtrex the day before the injections and for a few days after the injections to help suppress the virus.  Best, Dr. Green

Will Lip Fillers Cause Cold Sores?

Heating up or causing “trauma” to the mouth area can indeed cause a herpes flare-up. When it comes to cosmetic procedures, getting to know a patient’s medical history can be very important in part because of this. Treating the mouth area, whether with laser or injectables, can stimulate the virus and cause cold sores to develop.

With that being said, you still shouldn’t let that hold you back from lip injections. Herpes simplex is a very common virus, and I have treated many HSV positive patients with no problem. When patients are started on antiviral medication such as Valtrex, either before or the day of their treatment, it is generally enough for them to avoid an outbreak. Whether a resulting outbreak would be more severe than a person’s typical outbreak, I cannot say for sure, but this shouldn’t be the case.

Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified Dermatologist when you are ready for treatment, and disclose your medical history so they may properly prepare you. With medication, you should not develop any cold sores and may enjoy your results with no worries. Best of luck!

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip filler injections can cause cold sore flare-ups

You are correct in that having lip filler injections can cause cold sore flare-ups. Any trauma to the lips, including needle punctures, can cause a resurgence of the cold sore virus. However, there are ways to prevent this from happening, including taking an anti-viral medication before and after your treatment. I recommend telling your injector about your cold sores so that they can take the appropriate steps to ensure minimal risk of an outbreak following your treatment.

Lip fillers and cold sore

Yes, you are correct. If you are prone to getting a cold sore on your lips this treatment could cause one to flare. The good news is that we have medications to help prevent this from happening. . Just talk to your doctor prior to having the treanent and you can start pre-treating with a medication such as Valtrex to hopefully prevent the outbreak. 

Esta Kronberg, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Fillers and Cold Sore

If you have a history of bad cold sores, use valtrex before and after your lip filler injections and try to use cannulas over needle injection.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Cold sores

Yes it is true that lip fillers can trigger cold sores for those who are prone to them. Your practitioner can write you a prescription for anti viral medication such a Aciclovir which you can start taking before and after you have your fillers to prevent an outbreak.

Chien C. Kat, FRCS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon