I am 36 years old. Do I need a facelift? (Photo)

My forehead and cheeks are sagging and it makes me look very depressed. I have to constantly hold a more uplifted expression on my face to combat the sagging. My eyes look very small because my forehead is almost sagging down onto the brow area. The area around my mouth is extremely droopy, in my opinion, and I have a serious frown if I don't smile. Also, when I smile my eyebrows become very uneven.

Facelift timing

You have significant mid face sagging creating a bottom heavy face with a square look.
an endoscopic mid face lift would be an ideal procedure at this time. It will have no telltale signs and look natural. 

Naples Plastic Surgeon

At your age, you are probably too young for facelift surgeon. Try and find an experienced surgeon in your area who can assess the benefits of a non-surgical facelift with fillers (injectables). While they are not a direct replacement for surgery, when done effectively, they can provide a lifted appearance which may help significantly. 

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

36 years old facelift?

No one ever "needs" a facelift". Whether your appearance concerns you enough to do something about it is an individual decision that only you can make.

Everyone ages at a different rate. Some patients at 36 have more aging than those much older. It depends on numerous factors including: heredity, history of smoking, lifestyle, sun exposure, excessive exercising, underlying medical health, and significant weight loss. There are numerous options to address early aging: fillers which are temporary, micro-fat grafts which are long lasting but don't significantly elevate drooping , limited facelifts plus filling of the depressed areas produce the most aesthetically harmonious and longest lasting result. Each has benefits and drawbacks.

It really depends more on the extent of aging than chronological age, although 36 is certainly young for a facelift. 

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Cheeks eyebrows droopy candidate

To answer your question, there is no age that determine who is candidate for a face lift. The patient present her concerns areas forehead, eyes, cheeks etc.. and evaluation of the area need to be done by the surgeon to plan the surgery. Normally the process of aging can result in loss of elasticity of the skin leaving a droopy cheeks and brows given a much older appearance that the chronological age that can be corrected with surgery.

Facelift at age 36

Unfortunately at a young age you have issues that probably require surgery. Some of the sad tired look comes from sagging of your brows which are not symmetrical and some eyelid laxity. There are also issues with jowls and area under the chin in the neck. Fortunately, the solutions are not big surgeries. A limited browlift (modified browlift) and blepharoplasty are smaller surgeries which will help you for many years. Although more photos would be helpful it appears that a minilift and some liposuction under the chin and jawline would also be beneficial. At your younger age you could anticipate long lasting results.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Do I need a facelift?

Patients in their 30s do have facelifts.  It is not the age, so much, as the sagging of the skin that dictates what is necessary.  Once jowling begins, the facelift is the best, long term option.   I believe you would benefit from a facelift and necklift with liposculpting to shape the face.  Having some filler to the cheek area will enhance your cheek area.

Face lift at age 36?

A full set of photographs are required  before making any decision about what is needed, due to the fact that the face is a three-dimensional structure. The goal of a face lift is to tighten loose facial and neck skin, tighten  loose facial and neck muscles, and remove any fatty deposits located in the neck. Most patients who undergo a facelift in our practice are in their 50s and 60s. For many examples of what can be accomplished with a face lift procedure, please see the link below

I am 36 years old. Do I need a facelift?

Your a little younger than the average patient but it is not unusual to have patients in their late 30s come in for some type of facial rejuvenation. Obviously it would take an exam to give you any good advice, but just looking at the photo you enclosed, an asymmetrical brow lift and a face lift using a SMAS and platysma plication with a very delicate liposuction of the jowl areas and neck liposuction would be reasonable to help meet your goals.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

36 year old Facelift

Dear refreshments:

Thanks for sharing your photo. You have described yourself well and may consider surgical, non-surgical and minimally invasive options. It is not your age that is so important in which option is best for you, it is the combination of many factor including your heredity, weight loss / gain cycles, environmental exposure. Each, of course, has their advantages and disadvantages and so it is best for you to consult with a Board Certified, well experienced Plastic Surgeon or ENT Facial Surgeon to discuss what is best for you.

Various options for facelifting, minimally and non-invasive facial enhancements and skin texture improvements are available according to the skin laxity and areas of lift or tightening you wish or need. Both surgical and minimally invasive / non-surgical options are listed below.

Surgical lifts would be likened to pulling the bedspread and or top-sheet of your bed up to the head-board and removing the excess material.

Minimally invasive procedures such as fillers provide volume such as adjusting a pillow under the bedspread. Botox and Dysport act by pulling the top-sheet which drags the bedspread upwardly. If the bedspread (or skin) continues to fall to the foot of the bed despite fillers, Botox or Dysport you will need to consider a facelift.

Non-invasive options such as laser and light therapies, skin tightening products and technologies perform their tightening and smoothening of the skin similar to sending your bedspread to the dry cleaners. A more refreshed, even colored, glowing smoother and tighter spread covers the surface of the bed.

The most popular of the fillersRestylane and Perlane, a jelly-like clear skin filler is used to fill lines, wrinkles and folds. Juvederm and its longer lasting "cousin" Juvederm Ultra Plus are similar skin fillers, used to soften and fill the nasolabial ("parentheses") and marionette folds, the brow ("number 11") lines and fill and lift the cheeks and lateral brow or chin.Voluma is the longest lasting, up to 2 year duration HA filler. Each one is used to expand or volumize the loss of tissue associated with expression, weathering or aging. All the fillers come with numbing anesthetic!.

Non-surgical facial contouring is possible with fillers such as Radiesse, a bone mineral for the nose or cheeks, jaw and chin as well.

Scuptra is the latest of the injectibles stimulation collagen at different levels of the skin adding volume but primarily firming and adding resistance to the formation of wrinkles, folds and descent.

Botox andDysport too have been found to rebalance excessive facial expression, provide a non-surgical brow lift and lip lift and reshape the nose, as well as reducing wrinkles!

Dr. Obagi's new, second generation ZO Skin Health programs may be added to personalized chemical peels, light and laser resurfacing and tightening and will, smoothen and even the color of your skin.

IPL and fractionated lasers such as CO2 and erbium and now RF (radiofrequency) are additions to smooth the texture of the skin, tighten and reduce red and brown uneven pigmentation.

If you can pinch more than an inch of skin along the jawline in front of your earlobe, you should consider a surgical option to redrape and remove extra skin. You may consider: a traditional face and neck lift, short scar face and / or neck lift.

Other areas of skin laxity or fatty excess such as the eyebrows and eyelids should also be discussed with your surgeon in consultation for your best and longest lasting options.

I hope this was helpful. All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Face lift at 36

Your picture does make you look older, and sad.  I would recommend a lower face lift to tighen your neck and jowls, with liposuction of your neck; and an upper lid blepharorplasty to remove the heaviness in your upper lids that ,make you look angry, tired, and older.  Both procedures should be done at the same time, so that you only have one anesthetic, and one convalescent period.

Paul Silverstein, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon