How to Correct a Upturned, Bulbous Tip, Slope Like Nose? (photo)

I feel that from the side profile it looks too up-turned/pixie like and instead of a slope that I have I want it too look straight without it looking 'flicked up'. Looks quite bulbous from the tip and also one nostril looks unequal to the other. I want my nose to look straight from the side and also thinner from the front. My nostrils also look too large in my opinion. I have low self-esteem and confidence because of the way my nose looks.

Doctor Answers 8

Rhinoplasty for a short nose

Dear bohemelilz,

  • The issue is that you need your nose lengthened so it does not look "flicked up"
  • This can be accomplished with cartilage grafting
  • In addition, we can bring the tip in a little bit to match the new bridge
  • Finally, addressing the bulbous tip can be done with cartilage rearranging, instead of removing (which can cause long term breathing issues)
  • When you are ready, see a rhinoplasty specialist who can answer all of your questions and address your concerns - this is not a run-of-the-mill nose, you should see an expert

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 74 reviews

Nasal Issues

You are an excellent candidate for a Cosmetic Rhinoplasty.  Your bulbous tip, slope, and  turned up look can be corrected.  Rhinoplasty surgery is very specialized.  Be sure to consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who operates on lots of noses, to discuss your expectations and concerns.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 60 reviews

Rhinoplasty for an upturned and bulbous tip

 A rhinoplasty would address de-rotation and narrowing of the bulbous tip. In addition, cartilage grafts would be placed along the dorsum, to help buildup the bridge and de-rotate  the nose. Please see the link below for examples of how we have addressed the bulbous tip rhinoplasty in our practice

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 143 reviews

Correction of Upturned Bulbous Tip Nose

Hi Bo,

De-projecting your nasal tip and possibly adding cartilage grafts to your nasal dorsum (profile) should correct the features that bother you about your nose.  Choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

How to Correct a Upturned, Bulbous Tip, Slope Like Nose?

         The nose can be lengthened and the tip can be deprojected.  The bulbous tip can be reduced in size.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Kenneth B. Hughes, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 492 reviews

Derotate tip

Derotating the tip can improve the angle and narrowing the tip can imrpove the bulbous appearnance. There will bes ome limitations because of the thick skin.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Upturned bulbous tip

I am sorry o hear that this is causing so much distress. The good news here is that you have a lot of great features  to work with. rhinoplasty to lengthen and derotate your tip as well as shape it and set i back a little will give you the changes you are seeking..

Good luck!


Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Short Nose with Bulbous Tip

Your nose can be lengthened with cartilage grafts and the tip narrowed and defined. This will bring your nose into proportion with your surrounding excellent facial features.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.