Is Coolsculpting As Effective As Liposuction at Reducing a Double Chin?

Is liposuction recommended over coolsculpting for double chins?

Non-surgical double chin treatment options

If you are looking soley for a non-surgical solution, I am finding that the combination of Kybella or Coolsculpting Mini to reduce the sub mental fullness and an energy device to tighten the skin are among the best non-surgical combinations to help your neck concerns.
Kybella is an injection procedure that dissolves the fat an may require between 2-4 treatments spaced 4-6 weeks apart. There is some swelling and bruising potential, with the greatest amount with the first treatment.
The Coolsculpting mini procedure cools the fatty tissue under the submental area and also reduces the fatty tissue under the chin.

As far as energy devices, I would recommend Ulthera if you are looking for something with no downtime, or Profound if you could tolerate some downtime. Ulthera is an ultrasound based energy that heats the underlying tissue and stimulates collagen in response. Profound is a radio frequency microneedling device that allows for the creation of Elastin, collagen and hyaluronic acid and hence restores some of the lost elasticity in the neck. It has more visible downtime with the possibility of some swelling and bruising that diminishes in about a weeks time.

Surgical options are also very rewarding and include liposuction or neck lift. I would recommend visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to help you discuss your options in more detail.

It depends on your level of need

Liposuction is the gold standard for removing a double chin.  However CoolSculpting and other laser lipolysis methods can work, especially if you only need slight modification.  There are also newer treatments such as Ulthera and Thermage. 

I would find a cosmetic surgeon who offers both surgical (liposculpture) and non-surgical options so you can discuss the pros and cons of each.  Please feel free to send me a photo via email if you would like to discuss further. 

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Best treatment for double chin

Cool sculpting can work but the results vary and dramatic results should not be anticipated.  The advantage is virtually no down time.  Liposuction has more downtime and more risks, but you can generally expect a good result if your anatomy is favorable.  I recommend that you seek an exam by a board certified Plastic surgeon to help you make a more informed decision.  Best of luck

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction is the gold standard for removing excess fat to sculpt the body including reducing a double chin. Liposuction is a minimally invasive outpatient procedure that can be performed in many cases under local anesthesia with or without twilight sleep. The recovery time is generally a few to several days. It is consistent, effective, and precise.

Coolsculpting is a new, exciting treatment that can sculpt the body by freezing your fat. The procedure is completely noninvasive and requires no anesthesia and no downtime. The results generally take a few months to appear. The amount of fat that can be removed using Coolsculpting is generally much less compared to liposuction (for example, a 20% reduction in fat versus a 50-60% reduction). The results from Coolsculpting are also somewhat less predictable compared to liposuction. At present, Coolsculpting is mostly limited to treating the belly, flanks, and inner thighs.

In brief, liposuction is more appropriate for those desiring signficant and dramatic body contouring, while Coolsculpting is suitable for those wanting a noninvasive treatment with no downtime who are willing to accept a much more modest improvement in shape.

Larry Fan, MD

Coolsculpting vs. liposuction for a double chin

If the majority of your problem is related to a extra fat under your chin then nothing competes with liposuction for a predictable and lasting solution. Never techniques involving smaller devices as well as technological advances in Liposuction devices has made the treatment safer, faster and the results better.  The benefits of SmartLipo  has really been an improvement for my patients with this common problem.

CoolSculpting is non-invasive but has yet to produce predictable results after one treatment. Furthermore, it is not yet a common recommendation for sub-mental (under the chin) fat excesses.

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

In my experience liposuctions results are immediate and predictable vs non invasive therapies are very unpredictable.