How long can you wait between bone graft and implant, or extraction and bone graft?

My question is - if have the tooth extracted, am I better off having the graft done and waiting 10 months before putting the implant in, or getting the tooth extracted and waiting 10 month before doing the bone graft? If neither, how likely is it that I will lose the corresponding upper tooth if I extract the bottom and do nothing? The tooth has to go, and circumstances dictate an unavoidable 10 month gap between sessions.

Bone Graft and Implant

If you have a sinus lift procedure and have less than 5 mm of bone, then the appropriate time to wait until you have an implant is 4 to 5 months depending on the situation. On the other hand, if you have enough bone to support an implant in a stable position and you do a sinus lift, you can place the implant at the same time that you do the sinus graft. In other situations when you have a tooth extracted, there is always a possibility that you can place an implant immediately when the bone graft is done. If you decide to do an extraction with bone graft and not do the implant at the same time, the minimum time for you to be restored with an implant is three months. With the use of plasma rich and growth factors (PRGF) you can accelerate the healing process for most grafted areas. Please visit a qualified oral surgeon or periodontist. Good luck!

Bone grafts are done at time of tooth extraction

There should be no waiting from time of extraction and bone graft. After this heals, 4-6 months later, the implant can be placed. 

I usually extract the tooth and bone graft at the same time.  After 10 weeks, I place the implant. You hwould have to wait 4 months for the implant to heal in the lower jaw. 

Majid Jamali, DMD
New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon