I have these grooves under my eyes/mid cheek. I am unsure of what they are. I thought they might be malar bags/mounds? (Photos)

I have had theses grooves/mounds since I could remember. I am 20 years old, and i would love to get rid of them. Makes me seem tired all the time.

Doctor Answers 3

I have bags under my eyes. Can these be helped?

thanks for the question.  What you have can be seen in many patients.  These folds are representative of skin attachments via ligaments to the deep tissues below the eyelids.  This common finding is the good news.  The bad news is that this abnormality is not always easy to improve.  Mid cheek lifts, mid facelifts and fillers could be considered.  Please realize that many  physicians can offer these options to you, but also be aware that you may be disappointed after the effort has been attempted and a compromised result is noted.

Good luck to you.  Choose a very qualified Plastic Surgeon and listen carefully to the consultation, both the promises and the limitations.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Mid cheek grooves

thanks for your question. They are mid cheek grooves. There is a ligament that tethers the skin to underlying bone. Fillers will help for sure but often they don't go away completely   

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

This is called a mid cheek groove.

It is most effective managed with the use of hyaluronic acid fillers.  It is a normal variation that is often associated with a lean athletic body.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.