is 70 years old too old for arm lift and tummy tuck?

I'm a 69 year old female - can I still have a tummy tuck and arm lift if I still have 40 lbs to lose... I just can't lose the weight but so unhappy with large arms and abdomen hanging

70 years old too old for arm lift and tummy tuck?

Thank you for the question. Your age is absolutely not a contraindication to tummy tuck surgery; assuming you are in good health and a good candidate for the procedure you may have an excellent outcome with the procedure. In my practice, I would ask that you obtain “medical clearance” from the doctors who know you best, prior to proceeding.  I would also stage the procedures.

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.  

You may find the attached link, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Is 70yo too old for arm lift an tummy tuck?

Hello! Thank you for your question! Age alone is not a contraindication to a surgical procedure. There are a few medical comorbidities that contribute to a higher risk during any surgical procedure including infections, wound complications, delayed wound healing, bleeding, anesthetic risks, etc. Factors such as diabetes, hypertension, coronary artery disease, heart problems, lung problems, etc are more common in the elderly. However, if you are healthy, or these conditions are well-controlled, you would certainly still be a candidate for a surgical procedure. If your complaints or desires are great enough to consider the surgical option, I would seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss your complaints and go over the options as well as risks and benefits of the procedure.

You should obtain medical clearance from your primary care physician that you are at an acceptable risk for undergoing a surgical procedure. For elective or aesthetic procedures, your surgeon may want to get you to a reasonable health status prior to consideration for a procedure. Discuss all of your medical comorbidities and medication with your surgeon prior and discuss these risks. Also, discuss this with your anesthesiologist as proper monitoring and medications will be watched closely. This procedure should still be very safe for you and hope for an uncomplicated course with an excellent result! Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Too old for tummy tuck?

Thank you for your post. Age is not a contraindication to surgery. Poor health is. If you are a healthy adult, and interested in a tummy tuck surgery, meet with a board certified plastic surgeon. He or she will assess you as a patient for any risks you might have. The biggest risks are heart disease, diabetes, smoking, high blood pressure, and previous history of deep venous thrombosis.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Is 70 years old too old for arm lift and tummy tuck?

Age by itself will not prevent you from having these procedures.  If you are healthy, you can have both of these procedures performed.  Find an expert at all forms of body contouring with good reviews and good before and after pictures.

Contouring surgeries and age

It really has much more to do with your current health status and your health history versus your age when determining if you are a candidate.  You will want to inform your primary care physician of your intentions and get his/her opinion if surgery is a safe option for you.  Often times recent routine labs as well as an EKG are needed before determining if you can proceed with surgery.  Good luck!

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Too old??

It is your health, not your age, that your surgeon will consider when evaluating you for the procedures you are mentioning.  Congratulations on the weight loss achieved so far, and keep it up. 

Although this is a good time to start the consultation process, the surgery should be scheduled when you are closer to your desired weight. Best wishes. 

70 is not necessarily too old for an abdominoplasty in body contouring.

In abdominoplasty is physiologically substantial so your overall health is important. If you are healthy there's no reason why you can't have an abdominoplasty and brachioplasty.

Too old for a tummy tuck and arm lift?

Thank you for your question. You are never "too old" to have a procedure that will make you feel better about yourself. Age alone is not a deciding factor in choosing to have elective surgery. As long as you do not have any underlying health conditions that might make anesthesia recovery or would healing more difficult, I'd say go for it. I always recommend that my patients get as close to their goal weight as is possible before having a body contouring procedure. This will give you the best possible result. It is important to note that your goal weight should be a weight that you feel confident you will be able to maintain.

Steven Vath, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Surgery

Your health is most important when considering surgery not age.  And weight loss prior to body contouring procedures is always a good idea as weight loss afterward may have a negative affect on the result

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Tummy Tuck and Arm Lift

One of the most important things to consider when evaluating a patient is their health status and ability to have cosmetic surgery safely. Safety is and should always be a top priority! There are many 70 year olds that look and feel 50 but there are also just as many that look 90. Your functional status and other health conditions should be considered be fore combining two large operations... A consultation will go a long way to answering your questions and determining if you have most excess skin and are in great shape..or if its wise to do only one procedure or none at all.

Bahair Ghazi, MD