Full Body Skin Removal. How long will this procedure take?

I'm 22 years old and had gastric sleeve surgery 3 years ago. I'm hoping to be at 150 or less by summer. I have a ton of excess skin already. I'd like skin removal (my arms, belly, back, and thighs need it) and a breast augmentation but I have a few questions. 1) How long will this procedure take? 2) When should I visit a plastic surgeon for a consultation about this? What should I expect? 3) What is the average cost of all of these procedures? Is there any way to finance something like this?

Body lifting surgery

It sounds like things are coming along really well.

I think that you are probably at the point that you should start seeing surgeons and making some plans.  What you choose to do and in which stages will depend on how your prioritize things and how your surgeon can best treat you.  Generally speaking the body lift or circumferential abdominoplasty provides the best bang for your buck as it treats the abdomen, flanks, back, lateral thighs, and buttocks all at once.  You may wish to do the arms and breasts as your second surgery.

Dr Rodger Shortt
Oakville Plastic Surgeon
Assistant Clinical Professor &
Director of Cosmetic Surgery Training Program,
McMaster University

Losing weight after gastric sleeve surgery

Thank you for asking about your body lifting.

• Good for you for continuing to lose weight.
  • It is a good time to start looking for your plastic surgeon to make an initial plan.
  • The procedures can't all be done at once - they are done in stages.
  • It sounds as though a lower body lift and arm lift might be step one, the thigh lift step 2.
  • These are long operations with at least a 6 week recovery. 
  • Operations are done 6 months apart.
  • Financing is available at most surgeon's office through various companies such as Care Credit.
  • You won't know the cost until the consultation but Real Self has the range of costs for cosmetic procedures across the country.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Body Contouring

Congrads on your weight loss. Be sure to maintain a healthy intake of nutrition especially as you begin the process of starting you weight loss skin management. Now is a great time to chat with a PS. It will enhance your understanding and I really enjoy patient coming in early to start t he conversation. Typicall the amount of surgery done is limited by the tim operating. Too long on the table and it becomes concerning for developing complication such as DVT, PE, and wound issues. So therefore the contouring is usually addressed in component parts such as arms and breasts or back and front lift or thighs and breasts. The goal is to limit a very long surgery. Two to three procedures is usually sufficient excluding facial rejuvenation.

Bahair Ghazi, MD

FULL BODY SKIN REMOVAL

Hi there! Congratulations on your weight loss. You can begin to schedule consultations with board certified plastic surgeons anytime now. Try and be at a stable weight for 3-6 months before surgery. Each procedure can take different amounts of time depending on your specific area and amount of skin removal.  Bring paper with you to write down what the surgeon tells you as sometimes the information can overwhelm you and this will also help you to remember the plan. You should also plan on getting  your support people together to help with your recovery. I would plan on 2 or 3 surgeries. There is financing available but varies from one practice to another. This will most likely be discussed with the practice finance specialist not the surgeon.  Best of luck to you.

Surgery following weight loss

Patients who have had large weight loss generally have several areas that need to be addressed.  Because of this, and because each area tends to take awhile to correct through surgery, I tend to break this up into two or even three separate surgeries.  I think this is also safer for the patient.  Different doctors may have different opinions on this.  You can visit a board-certified plastic surgeon at any time for a consultation, however, I would suggest that you wait until you have reached your stable, ideal weight before actually scheduling your surgery.  With regards to the cost of this surgery, this will vary from doctor to doctor and may also depend upon how many surgeries are involved.  Most doctor's offices do offer financing options.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Post massive weight loss body contouring

Hello and thank you for your question. Congratulations on your weight loss. since you have lost a lot of weight already and have excess skin rolls, now is the time to start seeing ps who specialize in post massive weight loss body contouring to get an idea of what procedures are best for you. You most likely will need 2 seperate surgeries  (I sometimes can get everything done in one). Costs vary extensively around the country and from surgeon to surgeon. Remember you sometimes get what you paid for. Prices for everything could be as high as $50,000.
Sometimes insurance covers removal of excess tummy skin but not for contouring of the body.
Peter Fisher M.D 

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

When to do body lift

I would recommend that you visit a board-certified plastic surgeon after you obtain a stable weight for a few months. It sounds like you want pretty much everything lifted and I don't think many plastic surgeons in one operation. For your situation, I would usually do the circumferential body left first. That operation takes me about five hours to do. We would then usually do the inside of the legs and the arm left at the same time. Sometimes a mastopexy with implants would also be added to the second procedure. Find a plastic surgeon in your area to discuss these matters with. Congratulations on your weight loss and good luck on your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS