Can a plastic surgeon show me how I would look before I got the surgery? Is there a program where I can do this on my own?

I want to get into acting, I look okay, but can surgery help me look better, without looking like the scary after pics of celebrities? I want rhinoplasty, but I need to know how I would look with a new nose, and how many nose options do I have to choose from? I am only 25 and most face plastic surgerys deal with making you look younger (which I don't need), what else could be done to make a person's face appear more attractive? I just want to see if I can improve on what I already have.

Hi, computer imaging isn't a guarantee of results as it modifies the face and facial tissues in ways surgery could never achieve.  For this reason, these photos always have all sorts of disclaimers on them.  You may want to read my book on face and body beauty to familiarize yourself with the beauty concepts of making the face more naturally attractive.  IMHO plastic surgery should make the face more naturally attractive which is perceived as more youthful.  This means creating angular faces in men (perceived as ruggedly handsome) and soft feminine (heart-shaped) faces in women.  You can e-mail or post photos of your face (non-smiling) front and side for further evaluation.  Hope this helps.

Computer imaging for rhinoplasty

Computer imaging is best performed by a professional in the plastic surgery office setting.  For patients who wish to perform their own computer imaging, please see the link below to our website where you can upload your photographs and do  your own computer imaging

Computer Imaging Software

Hello QWY,

Most surgeons will have computer software that can give you an idea of what your will look like.  The images are not a guaranty but merely a way to verify your goals are the same as the surgeons.  Most patients undergoing rhinoplasty are younger and looking to refine or improve the nose instead of making themselves look younger. 

I would recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon or a plastic surgeon to get an idea of what can be accomplished and make sure your goals are in line with what can be accomplished.

I hope this helps and good luck. 

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Computer Image Morphing

Computer morphing is a powerful tool that can give you an approximation of your results. It works the best for rhinoplasty, but do keep in mind that these results are not a guarantee and the surgery is more challenging then a few mouse clicks. Also keep in mind that some angles and maneuvers are not easy to demonstrate with most software. It is best that an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon perform the morphing, as he/she would know what is actually attainable. In addition, the software is generally very expensive, so it would not likely be worth the cost of getting it for this reason. Good luck!

Satyen Undavia, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can I self-computer image my nose?

In general, I encourage computer imaging to be performed only be experienced rhinoplasty surgeons.  Only they will be able to determine what is most achievable for a given nose, after examination, etc.
If you wish to do this yourself, you can bring these images to a surgeon, who may or may not tell you that these results are achievable.  In any event, it will help with communication.

Sam Most, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Imaging

Computer imaging is a great educational tool that show patients how they may look post-op. Remember that these are EDUCATIONAL IMAGES ONLY AND DO NOT REPRESENT OR PROMISE TO DELIVER ANY TYPE OF RESULTS.Address your concerns with your surgeon on what can and cannot be done to improve your nose. This should be done in the hands of a Board Certified Plastic surgeon with expertise in Rhinoplasty.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Software not reliable...

Hi and thanks for your question. Unfortunately there is no medical imaging software that does this well. The only reliable change in the nose that can be mimicked fairly close to what you can expect is a lateral view of dorsal nasal hump reduction (and possibly dangling columella correction) - and this is easily done on paper with a black pen.

Otherwise the software in my experience is only good to demonstrate very gross changes to nasal shape and how this may affect the overall appearance of the nose relative to the face to help you and your surgeon understand what changes you desire -- in that respect it can be helpful. Once you decide on a change you desire and set up a list of expectations you and your surgeon agree on then the software is not very good at showing a "fine tuned" result, so is not helpful in my experience. Just understand that the rhinoplasty is based on anatomy the software can't necessarily see, and it is using photographic manipulations of a picture, so can at times generate anything you desire, but surgically those results may not be possible. Good as an early guide only.

Richard H. Kutz, MD, MPH