Is It Better to Have a Chin Implant Placed by an Oral Surgeon or a Facial Plastic Surgeon?

I'm looking to have a chin implant placed. I work in the dental field and I was wondering if it would be better to consult with an oral surgeon or a facial plastic surgeon?

Doctor Answers 4

Who should perform a chin implantation

Both facial plastic surgeons and oral surgeon can have the background to perform chin implatation. That being said, some may do it more than others, so do your research. You want to make sure that they're board certified and have experience doing cosmetic chin implatation. You also want to make sure that you like the surgeon's before and after results so make sure you review photos of prior patients. 

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 21 reviews

Chin Implant by Oral Surgeon or Facial Plastic Surgeon?

Both oral surgeons and facial plastic surgeons are trained to do chin augmentation. Pick a board certified surgeon from either specialty who has the most experience and the best results.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Best surgeon for a chin implant

The most important part of getting a good result from plastic surgery, is the surgeon that you choose.  While there are many people capable of performing chin implant surgery, a board certified plastic surgeon will be able to evaluate all of the other options that should be considered. 

It is not unusual in my practice to perform several chin implant operations in a single day.  I do believe that having both a Dental as well as a Medical degree helps to evaluate the overall face and jaw relationships to help choose the best option for your desired goals, with the least risk.


Darrick E. Antell, MD
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

Either Facial Plastic Surgeon or Oral Surgeon Can Perform Chin Implant

As a Facial Plastic Surgeon, I can attest that physicians with this training are capable to perform chin implants and many perform this procedure on a regular basis.  During my training I was fortunate to have the opportunity to work with Oral Maxillofacial Surgeons who were capable to perform chin implants and also performed this procedure on a regular basis.  My suggestion is to choose someone in either specialty who is not only Board Certified, but perfoms chin implants regularly.

Jonathan Sonne, MD
Naples Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.