Chin Augmentation Vs. Jaw Advancement Surgery

I'm 19 years old and on a bit of a budget, but I have an extremely weak chin, which I would like corrected. I don't know if I should be looking at a chin implant, or jaw advancement. I'm very reluctant to get rhinoplasty, mainly due to price, but it's something I'm considering as well. Any suggestions?

Chin implant, jaw surgery and/or rhinoplasty (nose job)

You should be evaluated for a malocclusion. This means that if your upper and lower teeth do not meet properly, then it is more likely that you will need a jaw advancement. If your teeth are in proper alignment then you may benefit from the chin implant procedure alone. In my opinion, you would greatly benefit from a rhinoplasty and should consider it as an option to enhance your overall profile.

Chin Enhancement; Jaw advancement VS. Implant

I agree that a Chin implant is a much simpler operation than an Advancement or a Sliding Genioplasty (Jaw Advancement). However - the addition of an implant would not offset the appearance of the nose.

Respectfully, in my opinion the size and shape of the nose eclipses your face and would proportionately make most chin implants look small. I would strongly advise you to have a Reduction Rhinoplasty (Nose Job) first - as the major procedure and then, if needed, worry about a chin implant as a secondary procedure.

Chin implant (yes) vs jaw advancement (no)

From the photo, I doubt that you will need a "jaw advancement".  However, some people might suggest a sliding genioplasty instead of a chin implant.

Most people would choose a chin implant over a sliding genioplasty as not only is it less expensive, but it has a shorter recovery and will give you a similar result with far less risk.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Chin Implant

The choice of which surgery, chin implant or jaw advancement surgery would depend mainly on your bite. It would also depend on the chin bone and the root of the teeth to see if chin advancement surgery is possible. Cin advancement surgery and jaw advancement surgery are more expensive than chin implants.

Cosult a Board Certified plastic surgeon, or a Maxillofacial surgeon

Chin augmentation vs. jaw advancement surgery

I would need a in person evaluation of the anatomy, dental examination in order to determine which is best for the situation. I am leaving out the $ issue. We should not practice due the $ amounts. But what is best for the final result. As for time off work the implant is faster but still the bony work only adds a few month days to 2 weeks. But the complications are much more in the bony work.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Chin augmentation vs. jaw advancement

Without actually examining you and seeing you in person, your profile picture appears that a chin augmentation would be the procedure of choice for you. Any facial plastic surgeon you see in consultation should be able to determine if you would be a better candidate for the chin augmentation or jaw advancement. I would think if you have a dental care provider, he or she would have already told you have malocclusion and might consider jaw advancement.

If you decided to have rhinoplasty this would of course be the optimum result along with either of these procedures. If you seek a consultation with a facial plastic surgeon then he or she should be able to provide you with a video image of yourself that would show you the difference of doing a rhinoplasty alone or the chin augmentation alone and of course doing both procedures.

Arnold Zweig, MD (retired)
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant, Chin Augmentation, Chin Implant Removal, Radiesse, Artefil, Artecol

I have been using Chin Implants for Chin Augmentation for almost 25 years.  I'm sure the costs vary depending on the experience and reputaion of the plastic and cosmetic surgeon doing the Chin Augmentation.  In our Beverly Hills/Los Angeles office, our surgical fee starts at around $5,500 with an additional OR and Anesthesia fee.  While Chin Implants can be removed under local, their placement is best done under general anesthesia as the Chin Implant should be placed under the covering of the bone.  I have not found it necessary to sew or screw Chin Implants in place but do do the following in all Chin Augmentations with Chin Impants:

• Use Silastic Chin Implants which can be removed anytime.  Why?  Because forever is a long time and you want to have the option of removing the Chin Implant anytime you want.
  • Place the Chin Implant through an incision under the chin.  This maintains the  natural muscle attachment to the chin bone avoiding ptosis (wich's chin) from developing in the future
  • Under the chin is sterile, while placeent through the mouth is not.  This approach also maintains a barrier preventing the Chin Implant from riding up into the sulcus, or groove just below the lower gums.  Extrusion of the Chin Implant causing possible infection and definite Chin Implant removal can occur if the Chin Implant moves into this sulcus when placed through the inside of the mouth.
  • Place steri strips on the outside of the chin for 5 days.
  • Require all Chin Implant patients to sleep on a U-shaped airline pillow for 1 month after the procedure.

You may want to read an article I've written "How to choose your plastic and cosmetic surgeon" that you can use when searching for your Chin Implant surgeon.  You may also want to read my new book on the aesthetics of beauty, including the chin "What's Your Number...the palmer code."

Chin advancement, often called sliding geneoplasty, requires actual cuts into the mandile to slide the chin bone cap forward.  I have always felt this approach as extremely aggressive since the alternative of using a silastic Chin Implant over the bone is available and far less invasive.  If you look at my book, you will notice that the face on profile is more than just chin projection.  You may wish to consider nasal reduction at the same time to further balance the face...IMHO.

Chin augmentation vs. jaw surgery with or without a rhinoplasty.

If your teeth fit together withy normal occlusion then you would find it far easier to have an implant, plus considerably cheaper as well. You should really consider having your nose done as well as it will give you a great result.

Chin implant vs. jaw surgery

When assessing the chin one needs to address the front to back and vertical dimensions of the chin. The male aesthetic norm for chin position is a chin point that touches a tangent line between the mid nasal bridge & the edge of the upper lip. For a woman the chin point looks more feminine if it is about 5mm behind this tangent line. Additionally the male chin has a squared contour while the feminine contour is more rounded. The vertical length from the nose-upper lip junction to the chin point should be equal to the distance between the nose-upper lip junction & the upper edge of the eyebrow.

A number of surgical procedures are available to achieve these aesthetic goals. A vertically long chin can be shortened by removing a horiontal wafer of bone. Conversely a vertically short chin can be cut horizontally & a bone or hydroxyappetite spacer placed for lengthening. Retruded chins can be cut horizontally, the chin point advanced forward & then the bone fixed in position. Squared chins can be recontoured with a burr to be rounded. Squared or round chin implants made of a variety of materials (silicone, porous polyethylene etc) can be used to advance the chin point forward &/or change chin contour from round to square or vice versa. If the front to back deficit is more than a centimeter and a half or so most surgeons would agree that cutting and advancing the bone is a better option than placing a chin implant. That is because larger implants have a greater risk of shifting position due to gravity and muscle movements. Bone cutting is also more appropriate if there is significant right left asymmetry of the chin.

Since you only provide a side view the chin right left symmetry is not visible. From the side view it appears that the bone deficit involves the entire jaw not just the chin. That does not mean you have to have the bone cut to advance the entire jaw but it does mean the assessment prior to surgery is a bit more complex and you have to go over the options before making a decision of what to do. Part of that assessment is dental alignment. The upper incisors (2 front teeth) normally sit 2mm in front of the lower incisors with their lower edge 2mm below the the level of upper edge of the lower incisors when the mouth is closed. The more these distances differ from the 2mm norm the more advisable it is to have bone surgery rather than just implants.

As for the rhinoplasty and the sequence of surgery you should have the surgery on the part that bothers you the most first.

Aaron Stone, MD

Facial implants, type of surgery

there is 2 ways of improving chin contour. 

first, chin implant can be done. usually it can correct up to 1 cm of advancement in the chin area.

advantage: less invasive surgery than bone advancement procedures.

second, orthognatic surgery or chin advancement, this is indicated for teeth malalignement or malocclusion 

it is a more efficient surgery for chin feature improvement, but more invasive.

to answer your question, chin advancement will be more efficient for your deformity and rhinoplasty will give much more profile improvement.

Jacques Haddad, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon