Can I get Tummy tuck with a BMI of 34.8? (photos)

Hello i am interested in getting liposuction and full tummy tuck. unfortunately everytime i've consulted with a doctor i've been told to lost 20 more lbs. i've lost 50lbs over the last 3 years and am now 203lbs at 5'4". i have been doing losing weight diet, yoga, and gym multiple times a week but my weight isn't decreasing. short of starving myself i have no way to lose weight. should i give up the hope of ever having a tummy tuck & lipo or are there any options available for me?

Tummy tuck and BMI

Thank you for the question and the photos.  The higher the BMI the more potential for healing problems with major body contouring procedures.  With that said, I have performed tummy tuck and related body contouring procedures on patients with BMI in the 30's and 40's without complications.  The answer is therefore that yes it can be done but I would seek experts in body contouring surgery in your community since care must be taken to design and execute the surgery to limit the exposure to complications.  The before and after photo link below shows one such example.

Dr. Remus Repta

Can I get a tummy tuck with a BMI of 35?

With all of your risk factors, I would defer to the opinions that you have received. I do think that it would be best served by losing some weight prior to undergoing an abdominoplasty. That being said, I would not definitively make this decision/opinion without examining you in person. I wish you the best of luck.

Can I get Tummy tuck with a BMI of 34.8?

Although your BMI is not is not ideal, you can still have a good result if you have a combined liposuction of the waist with a tummy tuck. 

See link below for examples. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

TT on heavy patients

Hi, thanks so much for your trust, for posting your pictures and your inquiry. I understand your frustration. Many patients have come to me expressing how hard they have tried to lose weight in order to get a procedure done, even though it is not an impossible mission my duty as a doctor is to tell you that you would get better results if you were as closest as your ideal weight as possible, and the most important thing you would be avoiding complications in your surgery. Of course after a tummy tuck and some contouring lipo you will have a better figure and a boost in confidence. Try to perform cardio 3 to 4 times a week. Avoid gluten, dairy products and bad fats. Eat small portions (300 cal) meals 5 to 6 times a day. And trust me you will see a great difference. I hope this helps. Please have an in person consultation so you can discuss thoroughly all your concerns, options and expectations. Good luck in your PS Journey!
Respectfully,
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty with BMI

All surgeons have their individual levels of risk and tolerance that they will take with patients that are not the ideal candidate for surgery.  Personally, if I waited for all my patients to become the perfect ideal patient, then they would never need any plastic surgery.  Patients can be ideal candidates even if they are overweight or have some other issue, but they must understand the limitations of the procedure on their body and how they much improvement they can expect.  Your risk of trouble is higher but you also stand to make a huge improvement and get relatively more change than someone who just needs a little off the top!  You must discuss this in person with your surgeon and see what will work for both of you.

Tummy Tuck and a BMI of 34.8

Greetings. Based on the information provided, a tummy tuck could be done with a BMI of 34.8. However, it would be wise to lower the BMI before having the procedure. This would help your overall result and also help to minimize potential complications. Ultimately, your safety is paramount.  Losing weight before a procedure would be beneficial to you and your overall result. Good luck!

Ravinder Jarial, DO

Thank you for the question and pictures. Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively. As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers, nutritionists, physicians who specialize in weight loss concerns etc. may be helpful to you. When the time is right, seeking consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will be your next/best step. Best wishes as you work towards your goals.

Abdominoplasty and BMI - #tummytuck

There are no hard and fast rules for BMI and operation. 20-25 is optimal and 25-30 is acceptable.  Over 30, abdominoplasty can be reasonable, but is done at the discretion of the surgeon.  One must balance known increased perioperative risk versus potential benefit.  Patients should optimize their BMI before operation.

Mark D. Wigod, MD
Boise Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Congratulations on how far you have already come.  The best possible outcome of surgery, with least complications would be for you to be at, or very close to your goal weight.  If you were willing to accept a higher complication rate (usually wound healing issues) from you surgery then it is not unreasonable to have your surgery now.  Also be aware that after surgery, if you do lose further weight then your results may be compromised.  All the best with your journey.

Kim Taylor, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Can I get Tummy tuck with a BMI of 34.8

You can certainly get the tummy tuck and liposuction done, but you need to understand that due to the intra-abdominal fat content, that your end result will not be a small tight flat abdomen. There will need to be a compromise that you will need to accept. Additionally, people with higher BMI's have a higher chance for infections and wounds that heal poorly, so you need to be aware of that issue also.

Julio Garcia, MD