How long after a Tummy tuck and Breast augmentation can I work out or have sex?

I'm having a tummy tuck and breast augmentation in mid August, and I was wondering how long it usually takes for a full tummy tuck to heal. I heard a breast augmentation takes about 1 to 2 weeks to heal. My husband and I are very sexually active and we were wondering how long it would be until we can resume our normal sex life.

Sex an the gym after surgery

Again, defer to your surgeon but in general full activities by 6 wks. There may be different levels of activity more appropriate at certain time points.  Assuming all is well, drains out, etc, I let my patients do a light workout at 2.5 wks postop and ramp up from their.  Mainly, you should follow your surgeon's recommendations. 

Wichita Plastic Surgeon

Having a Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation, when can I work out and have sex?

Great question.  Usually 4-6 weeks after the procedure you can resume sexual activity.  At 6 weeks, you can start working out.  Of course, you want to clear this with your plastic surgeon to get his/her approval.  Good luck with your upcoming surgery

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD, FACS

Usually 4 to 6 weeks…

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to specific information/advice. He/she knows exactly what was done and how you are progressing. Concerns would include an increase in heart rate and the potential for bleeding. Muscle spasm may be painful. Obviously, significant pressure on the surgical site is not a good idea either. It is not uncommon for patients to reportincreased swelling that occurs after vigorous exercise (including sexual activity), even several months after tummy tuck surgery.
Best wishes with your upcoming surgery.

How long for sex after a TT + breast augmentation

Hi there,
3 weeks after breast surgery, but 6 weeks is the the general recommendation after a tummy tuck for sex and exercise.
take it easy, this is a surgery to make you look nice, so you do not want to strain yourself and pop any sutures....
your surgeon will tell you anyways,
good luck and happy recovery.
Florence Mussat

Florence Mussat, MD

Guidelines vary from surgeon to surgeon so be sure to contact your surgeon directly regarding resuming exercise.  I advise my tummy tuck patients not to engage in any exercise including sex for at least 3 - 4 weeks after surgery other than walking. It is extremely important to follow your surgeon’s specific instructions.

Jamil Ahmad, MD

How long do I have to restrict my activity after tummy tuck?

That all depends upon what was done and how your body is healing.  I tell my patients to ambulate daily to reduce the risk of blood clots, avoid cardio intense exercise for three weeks and no core exercises if the rectus muscle was repaired for a few months.  As for sex, if you are comfortable and there is no pain then at any time.  Please check with your physician as not all doctors have the same recommendations and they know what is best for you..

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

How long after a TT and BA can I work out or have sex?

Thank you for your question. Typically you will want to wait 6 weeks to engage in any strenuous exercise. You may want to speak with your surgeon regarding specific recommendations. 

Have a wonderful day, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

It is mainly the tummy tuck that will delay resuming normal physical activity the longest. Depending on how your recovery goes you should be able to resume sex, with caution and limiting movement of your abdomen, at 4 weeks. At approximately 6 weeks you will notice that you are more comfortable with these physical activities. As far as working out I recommend that my patients not resume working out for 6 weeks.

Michael E. Ciaravino, MD

About Your Recovery and Activity Post Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.   

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

How long after a tummy tuck and breast augmentation can I work out or have sex pressure mark

Typically a Mommy Makeover is a combination of some type of breast recontouring, abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) and and liposuction of the hips and thighs. Of these 3 components tummy tuck requires the longest recovery. You should plan on staying home for 2 weeks after a tummy tuck. After that you can begin to reengage many day to day activities. Athletic activities which create stress on the abdominal wall should be carefully reintroduced at 8 weeks progressing to 12 weeks. More aggressive exercises such as sit ups and abdominal crunches should wait for up to 12 weeks. Upper body restrictions will depend on the type of breast surgery performed. If a breast lift, without an augmentation, or a breast reduction is performed it is best not to raise your arms high above your head until healing is achieved. This normally takes up to 3 weeks. Unrestricted upper body activity can normally be resumed at 4 weeks. If an implant is used either for breast augmentation or in conjunction with a breast lift normal day-to-day upper body activities can normally be resumed in 2-4 days. It is best not to lift more than 10-15 pounds for 4 weeks after an implant is placed. Reintroduction of activity following liposuction is dependent on patient tolerance. There are usually no specific restrictions associated with liposuction.
It is best to refrain from sexual activity for four weeks after the performance of a tummy tuck or breast enhancement surgery. Strenuous activity or exercise can increase the blood flow to these healing areas resulting in postoperative bleeding. Excessive pressure placed on the areas of healing can also precipitate bleeding. Any strenuous activity that puts significant stress on the core can disrupt any underlying in muscle repair for up to six weeks postoperatively. As sexual activity is resumed it is best to be careful and avoid anything that is painful or uncomfortable.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon