I had a root canal done 3 weeks ago and a permanent crown placed 5 days ago.

I had a root canal done 3 weeks ago and a temporary crown placed. 5 days ago the permanent crown was placed and felt just fine the last 4 days. Today I was woke up in the middle of the night to the area throbbing so bad even tylenol and later ibuprofen havent helped. Is this normal? Is the crown still just settling and this is normal sensitivity? The area looks completely normal. No swelling or obvious/visible abscesses. It is the 2nd to last back left molar.

Crown throbbing 5 days after placement...#DrSoftTouch

I would recommend returning to your dentist to have the tooth examined. The throbbing pain you are experiencing could be caused by a number of factors, so it's important to return to your dentist for the proper diagnosis. It's possible that the crown is high, and a simple bite adjustment is all you need. Even the smallest high spot on a crown can cause discomfort. I hope this helps.  Follow me for more questions and answers.

Crown sensitive after 5 days

There are many reasons why your crown might be throbbing after being normal for 5 days. Without doing an exam it's impossible to give you a diagnosis. I suggest returning to your dentist today and having them check out the area. It might be a minor adjustment of the crown that is needed. Don't jump to the worst conclusions because the cause is probably minor.