I have fat necrosis, what should I do? It's painful when sitting or lying the right. Cheek w/ the necrosis is very large.(photo)

Had a CT Scan done which verifies that I have a large disc-shape area of fat necrosis that is 5cm of thickness and 15cm in diameter due to trauma or injection. My right cheek is larger and unportion than the left cheek. Will removal of the fat necrosis make my cheeks even and portioned. Why did the size of my right cheek change dramatically?

I have fat necrosis, what should I do? It's painful when sitting or lying the right. Cheek w/ the necrosis is very large

It is always best to see your PS and ask them for their recommendations. Fat necrosis will usually run its own course. Fat necrosis usually feels hard to touch. Over time your body can absorb the fat necrosis and that side of your buttocks will shrink. Because you have a lot of swelling and pain, please see your PS to make sure you don't also have an infection. If it does not run it's own course, the fat necrosis can be liposuctioned out, but this could lead to worsened asymmetry or a frank defect in that buttock.

Fat Necrosis after Fat Grafting

Fat necrosis can occur after fat grafting to the buttock if the grafts are not spread evenly over the treated area or too many grafts are placed in an attempt to make a very large buttock. If it is painful to sit, I would recommend removal though it would mean a scar placed on your buttock. Time may soften the area as well so it is not unreasonable to wait before addressing. It just depends on how much pain you are in. I recommend you discuss further with your surgeon. Best of luck .

Erica Anderson, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon