Gynecomastia compression vest necessity. Is 4 weeks long enough?

How long is Gynecomastia compression vest really necessary. Is 4 weeks long enough? Also after one month, my chest feels sensitive and sore at the same time if that makes any sense. Its sort of like an irritating type feeling.

Using Your Compression Vest After Gynecomastia Surgery

Our patients are required to wear a compression garment for the a few weeks following their #Gynecomastia surgery. The #compression garment helps to reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will heal.We recommend it not be removed, at all, until the second or third day after the surgery. After that, we suggest they feel free to temporarily remove the #garment for showering or laundering only. We encourage our patients to maintain circumferential pressure for 4-6 weeks, but they may switch to an exercise compression garment when advised.

However, each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. Your board-certified surgeon will recommend the use of the garment, or not, depending on your individual case and surgical procedure. Therefore, if you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Compression garment

I recommend my patients wear their garments for a minimum of 3 weeks if not a lot of redundant skin following liposuction male breast reduction to a maximum of 6 weeks. To be effective the garment needs to fit snug but not too tight as to cause pressure problems (inspect your skin if discomfort and when skin is exposed), or prevent you from sleeping. As the edema resolves it is common for patients to switch to a smaller garment that fits - A Spanx type garment would work rather than ordering one or paying more at your doctor;'s office.
Male Breast Reduction (Gynecomastia Reduction) by liposuction requires compression garments for three main reasons:
  1. it restricts the amount of edema that forms and hastens its resolution by mechanical pressure
  2. It decreases the amount of bruising
  3. It assists the loose skin in retracting or shrinking

Compression garment

You should ask your surgeon about this. To reduce irritation, you can wear a thin, seamless cotton shirt underneath.

A compression vest is extremely beneficial after a Gynecomastia procedure. Worn during the first four to six weeks post-op, a compression garment will help decrease swelling and ease discomfort. It can also speed up the healing process and facilitate optimal results. The chest sensitivity and soreness that you are experiencing is very normal; you can expect this to dissipate over the coming months. If you have any further concerns, do not hesitate to contact your plastic surgeon.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Compression garment after gynecomastectomy

If you were my patient I would recommend on still wearing the compression garment. It helps with swelling which can last months. If the vest is irritating to you maybe wear it above a cotton t-shirt to prevent any irritation. Ultimately, you need to discuss with your surgeon what he/she recommends as you are their patient and should follow their post op instructions and recommendations.

Russell Ashinoff, MD, FACS
Red Bank Plastic Surgeon

Compression vest after gynecomastia surgery

Thanks for your question. I'd definitely recommend checking in with your own surgeon prior to stopping the vest.  In my practice I also find that patients get tired of wearing the vest after a few weeks, so I suggest they wear some other type of tight-fitting garment for a few more weeks after they stop the vest.  There are lots of sportswear options.

Vest after Gyno surgery

I think the vest is useful. I have my patients wear it for three weeks. Sometimes they will wear a snug Nike or Under Armour T shirt there after. But it is not necessary.

Gyno compression

Thank you for your question and every surgeon has his own protocol so check with yours

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Compression garment after gynocomastia surgery

The use of a compression garment is need for two to three weeks but beyond that is up to the individual and doctor.  Using an under garment under the vest may help but it could take several weeks before the sensitivity goes away.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Compression vest after gynecomastia

Thank you for your question.  I usually advise my patients that they can expect swelling for up to one year after surgery, although in most cases the majority of the swelling can resolve within a few months.  I typically recommend for my patients to wear their compression garment for at least 6 weeks after surgery.  Every plastic surgeon is different, however, with their postoperative instructions.  If you have any concerns you should schedule an appointment to see your plastic surgeon.  Good luck. 

Josef Hadeed, MD, FACS