Chin implant and boxing question, please help

Hello, I'am an 18 y/o male and I'm looking to get a chin implant to better my appearance but after I had planned to get into boxing possibly competitively but mostly to get into shape and of course i wouldn't fight or spare until after I make a full recovery from the operation. I was wondering if I should continue this even with the implant or would it be a bad idea? Would it get knocked out of place? Or would I be fine because I thought if a chin implant is made to act like a part of your jaw!

Chin Implants and Boxing

One can have a chin implant and participate in boxing afterwards. But I would recommend that the chin implant be secured with multiple screws to ensure that it can not ever be displaced from repeated trauma.

Chin implant and trauma

Hello! Chin implants are a wonderful way to contour the chin and improve facial harmony in the appropriate patient. There are several different materials that can be used for implantation- silicone (silastic), goretex, medpor (porous polyethylene) and merseline are all examples. Silicone is the most widely used and the easiest to shift with trauma. A full force punch or kick to face has the potential to shift any implant, no matter how secure. Shadow boxing is of course not a problem. Discuss your plans in advance with your surgeon and consider waiting until after you are done with contact boxing for chin augmentation. Good luck!

Catherine Winslow, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi, non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation. I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years. From the photos, your chin is weak. A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin. Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty. I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone. In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

You'd have to avoid strenuous activity (for 1 month) and boxing (facial contact for 3 months) but after that it shouldn't be an issue. I have many chin implant patients that are very active (military, SWAT, Professional fighters, Law Enforcement).

Hope this helps.