5 days post op, is incision pain normal?

It's been almost 5 days since my operation. I'm not really getting any pain or discomfort other than a sharp stabbing pain in my left incision. It's really hard to move my arm because of the ripping pain I get in my cut. Is this normal ?

Pain after augmentation

Congratulations on your augmentation emmaremblance! Everyone recovers differently and it really depends on what kind of augmentation you had and if your wounds have all healed. Sometimes there are restrictions on heavy lifting or repetitive motions and thats why it is important to maintain follow up with your doctor and have your concerns addressed in person as well. Best of luck, MMT

Incision pain

Sharp pains and tingling sensations are usually all normal following breast augmentation.  Nerves are disturbed during surgery as they begin to heal the send sharp signals.  This normally resolves over a few weeks.  If you are having trouble moving your arm then you should discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon to rule out any other issues.

Thank you for your question and photo. #HEALING OF ##SENSORY #NERVES:Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you. But since you are having trouble with shooting pain and arm issues, I recommend you see your .#BCPS and allow him to evaluate you. Best wishes to you!

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent breast surgery.
Generally, sharp pain this early on in the recovery is normal but if you have questions or concerns, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource.
Best wishes for a result you will be pleased with.

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. It is hard to tell what may be going on based on your description.  It may be normal but I would touch base with your surgeon.  

Best wishes
Theodore T. Nyame MD

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Pain after breast augmentation

Having some mild incisional pain 5 days after surgery is not a cause for concern.  In the absence of any opening of the incision or infection, both of which are exceedingly rare after breast augmentation, the pain should improve over the next few days to one week.  If things are not improving please let your plastic surgeon know.

Samir S. Rao, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Incision Pain

Thank you for your question. It is common to have a mild degree of pain along the incision line five days following breast augmentation. This should gradually improve over the next week. Make sure to follow all of your plastic surgeons post-op instructions including use of a support bra and level of physical activity. Hope this helps.

Pain along the incision 5 days post operative is not uncommon. You should keep an eye out for swelling, redness, purulent discharge and fever which may indicate an infection. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Postoperative Pain

At five days postop, incisional pain is quite normal. As long as there is not significant swelling, redness, or drainage, and you are otherwise well, it is usually not indicative of a major problem. However, it is always advisable to follow up with your plastic surgeon, so that he/she can follow your postoperative progress.

Jeffrey Ridha, MD
Saratoga Springs Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your surgery!  Pain along the incision line is a normal finding 5 days after surgery and should steadily improve over time.  If this pain is worsening or your breast appearance changes, talk to your surgeon and ask to be seen.  Hang in there!