Does a mini facelift include tightening the muscles?

When a mini-facelift is done are the muscles tightened or just the skin. And how much is the price of the average mini facelift vs a full facelift

Mini Facelift

Thank you for your question. A  Mini Facelift has different meanings to different surgeons. It can either involve skin only or in combination with tightening of the muscle layer known as the SMAS. In my practice I tighten the SMAS if there is an element of a jowl. This will help contour the jawline and increase the longevity of the procedure. By tightening the SMAS it allows for the skin to be re-draped rather than pulled tightly for a more natural and soft look.The price of a Mini Facelift will vary greatly form city to city as well as the experience of the surgeon. I would recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon as a good starting pointBest of LuckDrG

It will depend on the surgeon if the underlying SMAS layer is tightened as well as the skin.

It will depend on the surgeon if the underlying SMAS layer is tightened as well as the skin. Personally, I do tighten the SMAS layer as well as the skin when performing a mini facelift, as I find that it provides longer lasting and better results. A mini lift will generally be less expensive than a full facelift, but you should never decide on a surgery based on price. Surgical procedures should be done in accordance with what is necessary to achieve the patient’s goals. If you will benefit from a mini lift alone, go ahead and do it, but if your skin is sagging enough to warrant a full facelift, I would strongly consider having the full facelift instead of the mini. I hope this helps.

Muscle Tightening

Hi Whatcanmynamebe

Thanks for posting your question. Our mini face lift does tighten the muscle, however not all of them do.

Our Concept Facelift is less invasive than a traditional facelift and there is less scarring, bruising and swelling for a significantly quicker recovery period. This innovative procedure combines the latest surgical techniques with the use of local anaesthetic to dramatically reduce the risks associated with traditional facelifts, while significantly reducing the bruising and downtime of your recovery, from months to a matter of days. This is a combination of a SMAS lift and skin tightening that allows the procedure to have it's longevity without the trauma and invasiveness of a traditional facelift.

There is minimal bruising and swelling, especially when compared to traditional facelifts
As the procedure is performed under local anaesthetic, you can go straight home following the procedure
Full recovery in a matter of days rather than months
Significantly less risk than Facelifts performed under general anaesthetic
Fresh, youthful and long lasting results

Do your homework and find a reputable and experienced surgeon to talk over your desired results.

Mini-Facelift Cost

Thank you for submitting a wonderful, and common question. I think most plastic surgeons would agree that even a smaller facelift (ie a mini-facelift) should have the muscles tightened. Specifically, the SMAS layer of the lower face should be tightened to give most of the actual result. The skin is also tightened, but not to the same extent as the muscle (to prevent scarring and pulled earlobes). I would avoid any procedure that does not tighten the underlying muscles. As far as cost, minilifts typically cost anywhere between 55-75% of the full cost of a lower facelift/necklift. Depending on where you live, you can expect to spend anywhere from $3500-$9,000 for this procedure. Be sure to seek a board certified surgeon who performs this procedure weekly in his/her practice. Good luck!

Paul Lanfranchi, DO, FAOCO
Las Vegas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mini facelift (limited-incision facelift)

Thanks for your questions. What exactly is considered a "mini lift" varies by surgeon. However, it tends to mean that we use a shorter incision near the ear to lift the skin, tighten the "muscle" layer (the supportive, deeper tissues of the cheek/neck), and then conservatively remove excess skin. It can provide great results that last. Sometimes we combine that with liposuction of the neck area, or by adding fat volume to the cheeks; it just depends. I'd suggest getting a few consultations with plastic surgeons near you. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

When I perform a minilift, I elevate and tighten the underlying thick connective tissue (SMAS layer) and the skin. Addressing the SMAS layer is key to having excellent long-term results that can set the clock back 10-15 years. Minilifts can be divided into 2 basic categories: minilift of the face and minilift of the neck. A minilift of the face addresses the cheek and jawline, and includes the temple area in some cases. The underlying thick connective tissue (SMAS layer) and the skin in front of the ear and sometimes into the temple are elevated. The procedure restores the contour in the jawline, marionette lines, and the lower nasolabial fold in a natural way. The incisions are hidden behind the hairline and the cartilage of the ear, and stops behind the ear. A minilift of the neck is similar and hides the incisions behind the ear and into the hairline. Neck liposuction can be performed through a small incision under the chin, and if muscle bands are present, a platysmaplasty can be performed. The procedure elevates the loose skin back and brings the contour back to the neck. If you combine the neck lift and minilift of the face together, you get a lower facelift (or what is traditionally called a facelift). The lower facelift for me addresses from the temporal area, including the jaw line and down to the clavicle. In order to determine if any of these procedures are best for you, a proper physical exam in necessary by a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Corey S. Maas, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

What does a minifacelift mean

A minifacelift generally involves tightening of the SMAS layer which connects to the muscles in addition to skin tightening.  Not everyone does it this way.  Some surgeons only tighten skin and others tighten both, and the amount of tightening is surgeon dependent.  In our practice, we perform an extended tightening of the SMAS to make the lift last even longer. 

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift terminology and technique

Thank you for the question. The terms used in facelift and neck lift surgery are, unfortunately, not consistent. The best way to clarify what is done and what you can expect is to discuss this directly with potential surgeons during your consultation. In my practice, when I do a "mini-lift", the muscle/connective tissue layer of the lower face is tightened. The treatment of the neck depends on what the patient needs -- for people with significant neck laxity or hanging muscle bands, a more involved procedure may be needed.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts.  While there are numerous names given to these types of facelifts, the specifics of how they are performed can vary between Facelift Surgeons, so it's important to know what exactly will be done.  

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

"Jowls" are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift. The underlying SMAS (muscle) layer of the face must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last). The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine whatever facial shaping that's necessary with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

Mini lift

A minilift should include tightening the muscles under the chin and tightening the layer under the skin in just in front of the ears (SMAS).  The price varies depending on how extensive the work that needs to be done.  If you want a price from an out-of-town surgeon, simply send your photos to their consultant and they can give you an estimate.  Best wishes.

David Alessi, MD