Do I have enough time to heal before my son's wedding after a mini face lift?

The mini face lift would be May 23 and my son's wedding is June 19th. I am concerned about swelling, bruising, etc. I am fair-skinned, bruise easily and have very short hair that does not cover my ears. In addition to a mini face lift, I will have fat grafting around the mouth and under the eyes. I have practically no fat that needs to be removed. But I do have a little loose skin in the neck and very slight jowls. Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Darco4evr, I would not do this; I recommend six weeks. Good luck with the wedding! I hope all goes well.

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Healing after a mini facelift

The short answer is that you will likely be fine for your son's wedding.  A lot of the healing process of a mini facelift and any other facial surgery for that matter, has to a lot to do with the thickness and pigment of your skin, and whether your skin is oily or dry.  Thicker more oily skin with a great deal of subcutaneous fat can take a little longer to settle down following a mini facelift.  Even in the worst case, a little makeup will camouflage any small imperfections.  Congratulations on the wedding and I hope they don't plan on moving in with you!

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD, FACS
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Not recommended

Congrats on your son's wedding!  
Given the time frame before the wedding, I would recommend waiting until after the wedding to ensure that your facial rejuvenation results are not jeopardized during the busy period of your sons wedding planning. 
Typically, a mini lift requires only 5 to 7 days of rest time, compared to 7 to 14 days for a full facelift. It is common for patients to experience side effects such as bruising, swelling, redness, sensitivity, temporary loss of sensation, and some discomfort in the weeks following a mini facelift.
Things to consider: No strenuous activities for 2 weeks including bending over or anything that causes increased blood flow to the head.
Walking and mild stretching are okay.
No swimming for 4 weeks. You may experience tightness in the neck for 2-4 weeks.
Final result is not fully realized for approximately 3 months. By the third week you should look and feel much better to resume most normal activities but for such a special occasion, I think it is best that you feel your 100% best without any limitations on your son's wedding.
Good luck!

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Enough Time

Thank you for your question. Most patient look great after a Mini Facelift with ancillary treatments by 2 to 3 weeks. This is a huge family event and you want to look your best which makes perfect sense but that said ABSOLUTELY do not do the procedure! This momentous day deserves your full attention and you want to enjoy every minute. Any set back, minor or major, would be a shame and take away from your evening. If you are a candidate some well done fillers and neurotoxin Botox or Dysport) might be great options to help you look your best. In my opinion enjoy the night and put this off for another time.Best of LuckDrG

Lee A. Gibstein, MD

My mini lift patients are ready to resume most of their everyday activities two weeks after surgery.

Generally, my mini lift patients are ready to resume most of their everyday activities two weeks after surgery. Full healing will take longer, but by the time of your son’s wedding you should be able to use makeup and look great. Obviously everyone heals differently and there’s no guarantee that you will be wedding ready in such a short time, especially since you are also having fat grafting done, so it’s up to your discretion whether or not to proceed. I would discuss your deadline with your plastic surgeon and get his advice on whether or not you should have the mini lift or postpone it until after the wedding. I hope this helps.

Facelift Recovery

Recovery time from a facelift varies from person to person, but patients can generally expect to be presentable within three weeks from surgery. Patients should expect swelling, bruising, and discoloration of the skin during this phase of recovery (swelling normally goes down after 48 hours; most bruising will go away within two weeks). The marks from a facelift can easily hidden with “camouflage” make-up which you can learn how to apply.
The scars from a facelift mature within six to twelve months from the surgery date. It is during this time that the rejuvenating effects of the facelift will become apparent and the real result will be seen.
If you have certain concerns about the procedures and #healing process, it is recommended to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss those #concerns.

Timing of mini facelift

Thank you for your question. My suggestion would be to postpone this procedure until after the wedding. I know that's not the answer you were hoping for, but you will be very close to people that night and will be in countless photos. I don't think that you will be healed enough in that time to feel comfortable. However, there may be some simple things you can do in the meantime that may help such as fillers, Botox, and good skin care. Best wishes, and congratulations.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Mini-lift timing and recovery

Thank you for the question. My honest opinion is that, even if everything goes perfectly, you will feel rushed in your recovery. Ideally, 6-8 weeks is best between a mini-facelift and any sort of major event. You could always do some non-surgical things before the wedding (injectables, laser, etc.) and then the lift afterwards. Take care and enjoy!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wedding one month after a mini face lift

One month is generally sufficient time for healing after any type of face lift, including a mini lift. Technically, one is still healing for several months after any facial plastic surgery. A majority of bruising and swelling is typically resolved by one month. Make-up can usually be applied too, which allows hiding any residual bruising. As always, speak with your plastic surgeon regarding any issues. Congratulations on your son's wedding!

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

How much time to heal after minilift?

Congrats on the big occasion! Most likely you will be ok, but your time frame is cutting it a little close. We find that most people after a minilift have no issues by 3 weeks postop. By this time, they dont have to worry about camouflage of any sort. Many are even much quicker than this. My only concern is that while this is true for most people, it is not a 100% guarantee. In addition, fat grafting can really cause a lot of bruising - which can persist in some cases for several weeks. In summary - I think most likely you will look great - but there is a small chance you will be self conscious about persistent bruising and/or swelling. Best of luck!

Patrick J. Byrne, MD, FACS
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon