How long will it take for my scars to fade after mini face lift? (Photo)

Hi, stupidly I had a mini face lift Dec. The results wasn't what I wanted plus I have these huge bright red scars behind and under my ears. My question is will the rednesses and scars fade? And how long does this unusually take?? Also my surgury suggested maybe doing the op again, do you think this is wise??? Will it make my face even more of a mess?? Im not sure what to do, there is no way I could even wear my hair up at the minute. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks :)

Incision healing after a mini facelift

Incisions will continue to heal after a mini facelift for approximately one year. Generally speaking, the incisions can be hard to identify as early as 3 to 4 weeks after the surgery. In reviewing your pictures, it appears you're having the formation of either hypertrophic scars or a keloid reaction. In this situation, I would recommend additional treatments to ensure you have the best healing possible. These additional treatments could include injections with medications, laser treatments, or micro-needling treatments. I would seek an in office consultation to go over the pros and cons of each treatment.I hope this helps

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Needs more time

It will take time for the redness to improve.
Laser can help, as can silicone sheeting.
A revision can help, but optimally should wait about 9 to 12 months after surgery to let this settle down.
The revision will need underneath support as just tightening the skin alone will cause spreading scars.

Keith Denkler, MD
Marin Plastic Surgeon

Redness in Post-auricular Facelift Scars

Thank you for your question and photos. I am sorry that you are experiencing red scars after your mini-facelift. In general, one would not expect to see this level of inflammation and redness after three months. Your incisions maybe adversely reacting to some type of suture material used, or there could be an excessive amount of tension of the incision/ wound closure. You may also have an underlying issue with tissue healing.

With time, your skin and soft tissue should relax with a reduction in redness. Topical application of silicone gel may help with a reduction in redness for now. Some silicone gels are commercially available. In the USA, Silagen makes a nice product that is well tolerated by even sensitive patients. Later, laser therapy may be of some benefit. 

Eventually, you may need to consider a scar revision procedure if this scar appearance does not improve to a satisfactory level. Consult with your physician about your concerns and try to remain positive. I agree that I would postpone any revision surgery just now. Allow for further recovery first and try some of the non-surgical options. Hope this helps.

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Red scars after a facelift surgery

Take note that scars continue to improve up to a year, although you may want to consider laser treatments that are designed to minimize the redness.

Also, it could take up to six months before the skin redrape to the new contour, so you may want to postpone a revision.

I hope that helps and good luck. 

Tarick K. Smiley, MD

How Long Will it Take Scars to Fade After a Facelift

The #scars from a facelift mature within six to twelve months from the surgery date. With your surgeon's permission, you may be able to begin using scar management products. But is best to confirm such with your surgeon before using. It is during this time that the rejuvenating effects of the #facelift will become apparent and the real result will be seen. If you have certain concerns about the procedures and #healing process, it is recommended to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss those #concerns.

Scars Healing After Mini Lift

Thank you for your question and pictures.  Unfortunately some patients do take longer to heal than others, please seek advise from your PS as these may be formation of hypertrophic scars.  Treatments such as steroid injections or laser treatments could help, I would suggest waiting for 12 months before considering any scar revision surgery.  All The Best