Can Chalazion Be Gone on Its Own?

i had one on my right upper eye lid , it has been a week. I've undergone three I&C for chalazion for my left eye so i know how it works, but this time, i dont want to have another one if it will be gone on its own. I have chalazion in my upper eye lid. I just treat it warm compress and hopes it will be gone on its own since i do not want to undergo another I&C. I also have dry eyes, will using artificial tears have an effect on my chalazion now? do you think it's okay to use it while i have chalazion?

Will chalazion go away on its own?

Often a chalazion will go away on its own or with conservative medical treatment such as hot spoon bathing, topical antibiotic ointment and time. An acute red inflamed chalazion will settle and even point with medical treatment then after a few weeks if it has not gone away, an injection of Kenalog or an incision and curettage is indicated, which is a minor day case procedure under local anaesthetic.

However, we are ignoring the underlying cause of chalzion.

Recurrent chalzia are more likely in patients in whom the posterior blepharitis or meibomian gland dysfunction is not being adequately addressed.

It is a good idea if you have already had one chalazion, to be assessed for posterior or mixed type blepharitis with blocked or atrophic meibonian glands.

The other name for chalazion if a meibomian cyst, so called as it is a blockage in the meibomian duct, of which approximately 25 to 30 are found in each eyelid within the tarsal plates. The blocked meibonian ducts have to be addressed with eyelid heating, massage and cleaning, intensively for a few weeks then less so after about 8 weeks, as maintenance.

From Jane Olver, Consultant Oculoplastic Surgeon, London, UK

London Oculoplastic Surgeon

Chalazia can resolve with non-surgical treatment

The first line of treatment of chalazia is often warm compresses several x daily for a couple weeks.  Many specialists also recommend an eyedrop or ointment with a steroid to be used for 2 or 3 weeks.  When such conservative measures fail,  lancing the chalzion is usually the next step.

Mark J. Lucarelli, MD
Madison Oculoplastic Surgeon

Chalazion

Try doing some hot compress every day for a total of an hour a day. I tend to tell patients to take a zip lock bag and fill the bag half way with hot water and then run a wash cloth as well under some hot water and then squeeze out as much of the water as you can and place it back in the bag. I have been informed by many patients that this method keeps the wash cloth warmer longer and the bag tends to reach the glands nasal as well as the glands temporal very well. If this method is unsuccessful then I would recommend seeing your Oculoplastic Surgeon or finding one to take a look. Our office here in the Seattle area also has an amazing Dry Eye Department that specializes in chalazions and dry eyes. We have patients that come from miles away and as far as Oregon and at times California to meet with our Dry Eye Specialist here at the office about their dry eyes and chalazions.

Chalazion Natural Course

Yes, chalazions often resolve on their own with warm compresses. I would also suggest massaging the eyelid - your oil glands are located behind your lashes in both the upper and lower eyelids so if it is in your upper eyelid, you should try massaging downwards to encourage the oil gland(s) associated with it to open up and drain. Artificial tears would not cause any problems or interfere with the natural course of your chalazion, so you can continue to use them.

Mahsa Sohrab, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

The Treatment Of Chalazions

A Chalazion occurs when eyelid mucous glands become clogged. This results in cystic lesions on the under surface of the eyelid which can cause pain and discomfort.

The vast majority of chalazions respond to conservative management. In most cases, this involves warm compresses and antibiotic ointments. Under these circumstances, these lesions point to the surface and drain spontaneously. In some cases, lesions are persistent and surgical drainage is necessary.

When this situation arises, it's appropriate to consult a board certified plastic surgeon. This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your physical findings and achieves your aesthetic goals.

Chalazion

A chalazion is essentially a clogged oil gland. Using warm compresses (warm damp towel) on your eyelid skin and margin will help relieve these areas without any need for surgery.  If they persist despite warm compresses, you can they consider surgical intervention.  Artificial tears should not have any effect on chalazion and are ok to use especially if you have dry eyes.

Sean Paul, MD
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

Chalazion

The first treatment for your chalazion is warm compresses. Topical drops and ointments are not very effective. I prefer oral antibiotics. If it still persists, then injection of Kenelog (steroid) usually gets rid of it. There is usually no need to incise and drain chalazion. 

Chalazion treatment

We want all our patients to do warm soaks for 1 hr/day for I month. This cures most of them. After 1 month, surgical drainage or steroid injection can be used depending on the size on the chalazion at one month

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chalazion

A chalazion is a blocked oil gland at the eyelid margin. They will typically resolve with warm compresses and keeping it clean with water and a gentle soap. If it does not resolve on its own you should consult your ophthalmologist. Artificial tears will not effect your chalazion.

Can Chalazion Be Gone on Its Own?

Yes, sometimes chalazia go away on their own.  Usually, using artificial tears does not cause a problem, however, you should see an Ophthalmologist to make sure that these are what your diagnoses are.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon