Bromelain And/or Arnica Before Surgery?

I'm having revision lower blepharoplasty next month. I had bruising for 6 weeks after the first surgery. Do you recommend Bromelain and/or Arnica before surgery as well as after? My Dr. seemed somewhat indifferent to there use. If I do take these herbs, how much and when should I start taking it? I really don't want to be in hiding for another six weeks!

Arnica for Blepharoplasty

Arnica pills when taken starting the day before surgery and after surgery until any possible bruises are gone will reduce bruising and make them go away faster if you get any. Arnica cream afterwards helps as well if needed. Also avoid aspirin and ibuprofen for 10 days prior to surgery.

Reduce Swelling after Eyelid Surgery

The eyelids are notorious for bruising and swelling. If a movie wants to convey that an actor has been in a fight, the first make-up applied is that for a black eye.

For eyelid surgery, 4 main treatments exist for minimizing bruising, but unfortunately no "silver bullet" prevents completely.  The first is starting Bromelain & Arnica prior to surgery.  (A few studies in the medical literature show improvement but admittedly others show no difference).  The second is largely out of your control and involves surgical technique.  The third treatment is 48 hours of post-operative icing.  Ice remains one of the most powerful anti-inflammatory agents, and I advise a maximum of 30 minutes every hour.  After that period, transitioning to warm packs also helps. The fourth treatment for facial bruising that is remarkably effective is a Pulse-Dye laser.  It will not erase the bruise but it can fade it significantly and speed the rate at which it disappears.

Best of luck in your recovery.

Jeffrey Cone, MD
Austin Physician

Eyelid revision: arnica for bruising

Revision eyelid surgery should be done at least 6 months after the initial surgery to allow time for healing and tissues to soften. Asymmetries, excess skin, fat rolls, fat malposition can all be improved. Other treatments may include laser or chemical peels to tighten skin and improve texture

I routinely have my patients use Bromelain and arnica and arnica gel before and after surgery

Arnica Before Blepharoplasty

I routinely recommend Arnica before and after surgery.  This can be purchased at most pharmacies, over the counter.  There are instructions with the medication of when it should be taken and should be started the evening before surgery.  So, don't look at the package the morning of surgery because it may already be too late.  Remember that these medications are herbal and not FDA approved.  So, the studies demonstrating effectiveness are not great.  I have attached a link to a patient who is one week out from a lower blepharoplasty (and facelift/browlift, lip augmentation) that I consider a normal, expected amount of bruising after having taken Arnica. 

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Arnica before surgery

Arnica is an excellent herbal for bruising and swelling. Also, follow your surgeon's preoperative instructions including avoiding blood thinning products such as aspirin. Consult your surgeon for additional guidance as he or she knows the specifics about you. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Arnica Forte and Bromelin Control Bruising in Blepharoplasty

While preparing for surgery, I do recommend that patients begin taking the herbal supplements Arnica Forte and Bromelin at least two weeks beforehand. These herbs can help prevent excessive swelling and bruising after surgery. I also recommend discontinuing blood-thinning agents, such as aspirin, alcohol, fish oil and multivitamins, for at least two weeks before the surgery and several weeks afterward. I hope this helps.

Hi Gwen, 

I actually recommend fresh pineapple, as it contains a good amount of Bromelain. Try to eat as much pineapple (not canned) as possible leading up to the procedure. 

If you have already purchased Arnica, this can be beneficial as well. There are various brands of Arnica, so I recommend following the manufacturers instructions. Typically the tablets would be taken 3 times a day until complete and some suggest beginning three days prior. 

Hope this helps, 

Javad Sajan, MD

Javad Sajan, MD
Seattle Physician

Arnica and Bromelain before surgery! #vitamedica #bromelain #arnica

Great question?  We have supplements that our patients take two weeks before surgery and two weeks after.  Vitamedica  was designed by an anesthesiologist to help prepare the body before surgery and after surgery.  Just the right ingredients are used for optimal healing before and after your cosmetic procedure.  I highly recommend these vitamins to my patients and find that their recovery time has been reduced significantly.

Brett E. Stompro, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Arnica for surgery

I recommend Arnica Montana and Bromelain Before and After Surgery
Bromelain is a botanical extract with natural anti-inflammatory and other beneficial properties. It can help decrease inflammation, swelling and pain that often accompany a surgical procedure.
Arnica Montana has been touted as causing decreased bruising, swelling and pain associated with surgery or soft tissue injury. with our homeopathic Arnica Montana.
For a thorough explanation of the beneficial effects of Bromelain, see the below link to an article I wrote on the subject
The optimal dosage is not known. I would recommend purchasing it from a company that specializes in pre-surgical medicines such as Vitamedica. You can contact my office if you are not able to find it elsewhere.

Arnica After Surgery

Great question!  Arnica has been used for centuries to treat the effects of accidents and injuries and has been known for its remarkable healing properties.  Many physicians and patients around the world have successfully used Arnica to treat bruising, soreness, inflammation and swelling that results from all types of physical trauma. Arnica has had the reputation for safety, effectiveness, ease of use and broad applicability. According to further studies and research, Arnica may be useful in treating health problems related to arthritis, post-surgical swelling, post-surgical pain and muscle soreness.  Please speak to your plastic surgeon for details on dosage.  

Jon Paul Trevisani, MD, FACS
Maitland Plastic Surgeon