Should I be worried about the swelling after lip fillers? They are huge! (Photo)

I had my lip fillers done yesterday. I am so worried about the swelling! I can't remember it swelling like this last time.. I had 0.7 of juverderm injected in to my top lip yesterday, today my top lip is tender and looks shiny like it is going to burst.. I do tend to bruise and swell more than most people but I am very very worried!! Is this normal 12 hours after lip fillers?

Ice

They are swollen which is normal, I would give it a few days and see how they look. You can also lightly hold ice on them to help.

Filler

The best person to help you is your treating physician. I suggest you see them in person or see another board certified surgeon or physician in your area. An in-person evaluation is needed to adequately evaluate your situation and options.

The foregoing information provided is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, it is provided for educational purposes only.
You assume full responsibility for how you choose to use this information.
Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider before starting any new treatment or discontinuing an existing treatment. Talk with your healthcare provider about any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Lips

Completely normal to be swollen a day after lip injections!  Don't worry!  I give arnica montana to my patients, you can get it at the grocery store- will help with bruising and swelling.  Ice immediately afterwards will help as well.

Relax and look forward to enjoying fuller lips!

Melanie L. Petro, MD
Birmingham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after lip fillers

Swelling immediately after lip fillers is a very common occurrence with Juvederm.  It would not be concerned unless the swelling is very painful.  If you can worried please consult your treating physician and I would recommend ice in the meanwhile.  Best, Dr. Green

Swelling after fillers to lips?

I appreciate your concern, but it is a bit early to tell. Your photos demonstrate slight over-correction, which should settle down over the next week. Over-filling is a common problem with this procedure, usually prevented by conservative filling over 2 sessions, instead of pumping too much material during one session. After one week, if you are still concerned, than return to your doctor. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Swelling after Juvederm in Lips

Although the swelling is still within the realm of normal, the injector did not follow the normal anatomical ratios. The upper lip should be smaller than the lower lip, in a ratio of 1:1.61. Ultimately, even when the swelling is gone, this is not going to look natural.  

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Lip filler and swelling

Swelling and bruising is common especially in the first week after lip filler. If you are concerned, please make an appointment with your injector and I'm sure they can ease your concerns.

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Lip swelling after filler

The lips can swell quite a bit after lip filler. It can take a week or longer of it to settle.  If concerned, then speak with your surgeon.