Can I take time off from work for cosmetic surgery and get disability?

I am having a face lift and need to take two weeks off from work. Is this something that I can get disability for? Also, I do not want to have to use my vacation time. Thank you for the help.

The decision lies with your employer and their specific policies. The bottom line is that the surgeon, if asked, will need to honestly describe what procedures were performed and why. They might or might not need to provide that level of detail. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Different companies have different policies, but it is my understanding in most cases the company cannot ask for details of your health status unless you have signed a statement at some time allowing them to do that.  If you have the situation where the company cannot ask what surgery you had, you may be able to get disability and time off for medical reasons.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Disability after elective cosmetic surgery is ethically questionable.

Disability insurances for the unexpected. Elective cosmetic surgery is planned in my opinion should not be covered by disability insurance.

Using short term disability for cosmetic surgery

If you have short term disability insurance through your insurer, you may be able to do this.
You need to contact your HR department to find out if you have this insurance and what its restrictions and benefits are. Best wishes.

Post op time off from work

Thank you for your question, but I think this is a question for your employer and/or human resource rep. Your physician can provide a note for your return to work, but may be required to disclose your surgical specifics in order for you to process a claim. Good luck.

Richard Wilson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Ask your human resources person.

You may or may not get disability for pure cosmetic surgery.   There are many plans.  You would need to ask this question of your human resources person.   My Best,  Dr C

Is it possible to take time off work and get disability for cosmetic surgery?

You honestly would need to check with your employer to find out the rules for taking time off for cosmetic surgery recovery.  I would guess that most employers would not allow you to claim disability during a time of recovery after a cosmetic procedure.   

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Disability

Almost certainly not. Disability is for injuries and illness, not elective procedures. If you cannot miss some work or are not willing to use vacation time then you are not a candidate for the procedure at this time.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Time off work for recovery time after a facelift

In our practice, most patients take 2 weeks off from work after a facelift procedure.  Disability policies differ from office to office and by insurance companies, so it is best to check with your company's corporate disability policy for inclusions  and exclusions. For many examples of what a facelift can accomplish, please see the link below