Will I need dentures after getting veneers?

I'm thinking about getting veneers done and a older dentist told me that I would need dentures afterwards. Is this true or false?

That dentist should probably retire.

You are not getting accurate information from your current dentist, and I highly recommend that you seek the advice and opinion of one or more additional dentists before you proceed with any treatment. There's no reason to think that a patient would need dentures after having veneers. If you are concerned about removal of enamel, there are veneers which are minimal preparation or no preparation that can be utilized in many cases.

Douglas Jopling, DDS
Dallas,  TX ares

Dentures vs #veneers #DrSoftTouch

Hello there,
I'm sorry to hear that you've been given this misinformation.  There is absolutely no link between getting veneers and the need for dentures.  I would recommend that you see an experienced cosmetic dentist for a complete evaluation to determine your options, and always look at before and after photos when choosing your dentist. They will give you a good idea about what you can expect. Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.

Sarah Thompson, DMD
St. Louis, MO area (O'Fallon, IL)
Real Self 100

Some dentists aren't very good

There are dentists that believe that enamel is sacred, and any removal will result in loss of teeth eventually (over time, not immediately).  This is normally due to their own observation, usually of their own work.  Most often it is due to lack of education and quality experience (not longevity of career; there are dentists with 40 years experience that aren't very good).

A well placed veneer, properly designed, is actually a stronger and more durable solution than leaving a tooth alone.  It is not bulletproof, so care is still needed, but to say veneering a tooth is absolutely dooming it is specious and suggests you need to find a new dentist.

Dentures after veneers?

There is absolutely no correlation between dentures and veneers. If the older dentist is doing your veneers you might want to get a second opinion.

Porcelain veneers

You need to see a cosmetic dentist to see if you are a candidate for veneers.  If your teeth are periodontally sound and you are a cnadidate, you will not need a denture.  I am not sure why he said that, but I suggest that you get a second openion.