Lip lift to decrease Philtrum length? (photos)

I have a pretty long Philtrum as seen in photos and I really hate it. Whenever I take photos I always end up looking angry and old. My bottom face would look so long and droopy. What can I do to reduce the Philtrum length? Is a lip lift the only way? Will a lip lift make my lips look too big? Although the question is about Philtrum, my nose always looks crooked in photos too, is rhinoplasty a better option to consider after the liplift?

Lip Lift

Thank you for your question. A sub-nasal lip lift can create a slight lift in the upper lip by removing the skin tissue in the philtrum. Lip lifts can be an excellent compliment to many plastic surgical procedures. It can be performed in conjunction with Rhinoplasty. I suggest that you consult with your single or double board certified facial plastic surgeon.Best wishes,

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Lift

A lip lift is the only way to decrease the vertical skin distance between the nose and the upper lip. It will create greater vermilion fullness in the center of the upper lip. A sub nasal lip lift and rhinoplasty surgery should be separated by at least 3 months.

Long philtrum

You are a perfect candidate for a lip lift which would remove a custom portion of skin beneath your nose to shorten your philtrum and raise your upper lip. There are modifications to the standard technique to minimize lip roll if needed. This would ensure your lips don't look "too big". Rhinoplasty could be done at the same time or after but care should be taken in designing the incisions so as to preserve blood supply for healing. Good luck!

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist