Can fat injection be done for a second time if you are not happy with the results?

I had fat injected to my lips and cheeks 4 weeks ago and I am happy the way my lips look, but my cheeks look pretty much the same way before I had the surgery. Most of the fat is gone. Should I ask my surgeon to put more fat into my cheeks? Will I have to pay more money for it? Thank you,

More cheek fat and who pays

It is not uncommon for patients to require more than one session of fat transfer especially when it comes to facial fat volume restoration.

It's better to lean on the conservative side and avoid the misfortunes that come from over treating people with facial fat transfer.

The procedure can certainly be done multiple times.

During my consultations for a facial fat transfer I often tell my patients they may need or benefit from having the procedure done more than once in order to get the most precise and best aesthetic outcome.

often a second session is much more limited and can often be done in an office setting.

Each plastic surgeon will have their own policy in regards to financial responsibility for touchups, revisions or repeat surgeries.

Ideally these policies should be discussed before surgery so that patients are informed and aware of potential future costs or what is included with the surgeons fee.

For example many plastic surgeons will not charge for revision surgery but may ask the patient to cover facility fees.

If a second round of fat transfer is simply seen as a second procedure then perhaps offering a substantial discount would be appropriate.

I personally generally stand behind my work and rarely if ever charge patients for revision surgery.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Second fat injections into cheeks are beneficial

It is indeed quite usual to place fat injections into selected areas of the face for a second time.

The surgeon finds it difficult to know how much fat to place exactly and so prefers, if anything , to slightly underdo the amount placed.
Usually when fat is placed for the second time the take of the fat is enhanced compared to the first time.

It is usually the responsibility of the patient to pay for the additional procedure, although having said that I always make a point of reducing the surgical fee for further fat injections, to show my respect for the patients situation and to encourage them fo persist in order to have the result intended

Bryan Mendelson, FRACS, FACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer Results, Are They Permanent?

I always tell my patients to get more improvement you should follow fat injections with PRP/sculptra immediately or consider 1-3 months after your first injection follow up injections to get more viability. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

4 weeks post fat injection

Dear Laritza99, Thank you for your question. Often the "take" or amount of fat grafts that survive after injection can be unpredictable. I often prepare patients for the fact that it may take several fat grafting sessions to achieve their desired result. I would follow up with your plastic surgeon and express your concerns as well as discussing his/her revision policy. Often times surgeons will wait several more months to allow for swelling and edema to resolve before proceeding with another session of fat grafting. Best of luck.

Mark Schoemann MD
La Jolla CA

Can fat transfer be repeated?

Thank you for a great question and for sharing your experience.  I am sorry you were disappointed in your results.  However, fat transfer can be repeated, although it is unusual for none of the fat to take.  Your surgeon may recommend you wait a longer period of time after your procedure before considering a touch up.  I hope you find this helpful.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Fat injections

You can certainly have more fat put into the cheek.   It is rare for all the fat to go away.  So additional fat should help.  Always better to under-correct and put in more as needed.   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

More Fat

Thank you for the question.  I am sorry to hear you did not get the fat take you wanted to your cheeks.  You can have more than 1 treatment of fat injections.  With each injection of fat you get a better fat take.  With fat injections only so much fat can survive in an area and the bigger the area the more that can survive. Talk with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon about your concerns of needing another round of fat grafting.  Also talk with your surgeon patient coordinator about there surgical fees, every surgery practice is different.