No compression vest after gynecomastia surgery; is that normal?

I had my gynecomastia surgery 14 days ago.. doc did not gave the compression jacket or vest to wear... he told me that i can wear tight that all normal ??

Gynecomastia post op

I always have my patients use a compression vest, but most of my cases include a lot of liposuction of the breast area. If you only had a small bud excised under the nipple, you probably would not need one. Also each surgeon has their own method. This question is best asked of your surgeon. Good luck.

Each surgeon is a bit different in what they suggest for post-op instructions. Some recommend garments and others do not.

Need for a Compression Garment

In regards to the compression garments, here is what I usually tell my patients in their instructions:COMPRESSION GARMENT:  You will be required to wear a compression garment after surgery for the next few weeks. The extra pressure this garment provides helps reduce swelling and discomfort. You should not remove this garment at all until the second or third day after surgery. After that, feel free to remove the garment temporarily for showering or laundering.  We want you to have circumferential pressure for 4-6 weeks, but you may switch to an exercise compression garment when advised.Now, depending on the sort of surgery you had there may be a different need, especially if there was not as much incision or liposuction was not used. 

Compression vest after gynecomastia surgery

Every surgeon has a different approach- I like to have my patients wear some type of compression for 6 weeks after gynecomastia surgery- this can be reduced to 4 weeks if only liposuction was required.  A compression vest works well-and fits under most shirts without being visible.  I also have patients obtain a sleeveless compression shirt that is one size smaller than they normally wear.  The compression shirt can be worn under the vest or sometimes by itself during the day if it is easier for the patient to hide at work. 

Compression helps with swelling and may also decrease the risk of fluid collecting under the skin-called a seroma. 

Jonathan Hall, MD

Male Breast Reduction and Compression

Thank you for your question about recovery from Male Breast Reduction.

Typically, a compression vest is optional after male breast reduction.  An Ace wrap around the chest for several days can be helpful

For specific questions like this one and about your recovery, it is generally best to speak with your doctor or doctor’s representative – such as his or her nurse, or the physician on call for the practice.

You will likely get many different opinions from members of the RealSelf Community, but they have not physically seen or examined you, and nobody knows you or the circumstances better than your doctor.

If you feel you are not being listened to or you are doubting your doctor’s recommendations, then it is certainly within your rights to seek a second and get the advice from another board certified physician. This should be done through an in-person consultation.

Obviously, if you think that you are having a medical emergency or other serious problem, you should call 911 and/or go to your nearest emergency room.

Best Wishes.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

You will find that there is no "normal"  when it comes to different plastic surgeons' practices;  in other words, practices will vary from one physician to another.

In my practice, I do think that use of the compressive garment is helpful when it comes to controlling postoperative swelling.  This garment is usually utilized for one month and may be helpful as patients become more active, when it comes to edema control. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.