Hollow under areola. Any suggestions?

For as long as I remember, whenever I touch my areola, I feel a hollow space under it. Is this a sign of gynecomastia? If it helps, I also have puffy nipples.

Doctor Answers 5

Concerned About Hollow Feeling Under Areola

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect men of all different body types. 

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. 
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. 
Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.
There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It sounds as if you have gynecomastia. Best advice is to obtain a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in gynecomastia. The will examine you, likely confirm the diagnosis and discuss treatment options with you.

Gynecomastia ?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Sounds like you do have gynecomastia. This can easily be repaired in one hour. Please see examples below and make a consultation to get more detail and pricing.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the question but an examination is really needed to answer your question so see some experts in your area.

Dr. Corbin

Gynecomastia male breast reduction male breast liposuction male puffy nipples

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi John, Thank you for your question regarding gynecomastia and puffy nipples. It is difficult to answer your question accurately without a thorough physical examination. However, from your history, it sounds like you do have mild Type 1 gynecomastia. This can usually be treated with a relatively minor outpatient liposuction procedure. During male breast liposuction surgery, the size of the nipples, or more accurately the areoles, can be reduced. Please consult an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon. If you have any future questions regarding gynecomastia or male breast reduction, Please do not hesitate to contact my office. Sincerely, Dr. Katzen

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.