Are all dermatologists versed in doing subcision for acne scarring?

Is it prudent to find a doctor who advertises this or do dermatologist all have this background unquestionably.

Doctor Answers 5

See someone who performs scar revision regularly.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Great question, I tell my patients that dermatology is so sub specialised, it is like going to a SPECIFIC orthopaedic surgeon eg. hand, knee, ankle, hip etc.. get what I mean? Dermatology and Plastics are broad fields, so I would suggest going to someone who ONLY does procedural work- this means they can excise, subscise, laser, peel, and fill. Video shows you how acne scar plastics or dermatologist will approach your scarring. It rare to have good questions in this section (most can be found using a search), so good on you for asking! All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Brisbane. Australia. 

Not Every Doctor Is Experienced in Acne Scar Treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Degree of training and experience can vary widely even within a single specialty such as dermatology.  For specialized procedures such as acne scar subcision, it is best to consult with a Board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with specialized training in cosmetic dermatologic surgery.

Douglas Wu, MD
San Diego Dermatologist
4.9 out of 5 stars 53 reviews

Aesthetic Dermatologists Are Most Likely To Be Skilled At Subcision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Not every dermatologist concentrates upon aesthetic medicine. Many devote themselves to treating medical skin conditions, for example, such as treating eczema, psoriasis or to acne breakouts, but not say to the treatment of the acne scars that may result. Consequently, you would do well to seek out dermatologists who specialize in cosmetic dermatology and to further to check to be certain that they do in fact routinely perform subcisions, since not even all aesthetic physicians routinely perform this. Hope this helps.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

You might also like...

Acne Scarring -- Lasers (Fraxel, Co2/Erbium, VIVA, Intensif); Microneedling/PRP, Fillers (Bellafill); Subcision; Punch Excision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

NOT every dermatologist knows how to treat acne scarring and even those who does a lot of cosmetics may not.  I suggest you only see an expert as this type of treatment can have serious consequences if not done properly.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

Subcision a part of most Dermatologists practices?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would say so. However, a cosmetic dermatologist is your best bet. Particularly one that treats acne scars. Subcision isn't something that is advertised all the time.

Steven F. Weiner, MD
Panama City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 75 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.