Sunken crater in forehead. What will help? Subcision? (Photo)

Will subcision help to lift sunken hole on forehead.

Doctor Answers 3

Subcision Lifting Combined With Filler Can Work Well For A Sunken Crater Scar

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A good rule of thumb for treating scars of any kind is that if it is depressed (i.e. atrophic, sunken, indented, crater-like), raise it up. And in this case, subcision lifting would be a good, relatively inexpensive first choice. If combined with the injection of a biostimulatory filler, such as Restylane Lyft (which I would use in my Upper East Side Manhattan office) or Hyaluronica 2 (my go-to for this in my Israel satellite facility, where a far greater number of regulatory agency approved fillers are available), the results would be immediate and, due to the extra  stimulation of new, native collagen synthesis,  would likely be even more gratifying in the long run. I would exercise caution if considering laser treatments and the use of PRP, as these relatively expensive treatments have a lot of industry supported marketing hype to back them up, but much less hard science.  Best to see a board certified, aesthetic physician with experience and expertise in all forms of scar treatments. 

New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

The Sunken Crater Solution--Lasers, microneedling/prp and fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Subcision can be used on the forehead but needs to be done with caution and often fillers to get a better result. Scarring usually requires a combination of fillers with lasers, microneedling/prp and lasers. I suggest consulting a well trained dermatologic surgeon or plastic surgeon.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

Hole in head

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hey wobblymonster- 

thanks for your pic and the question. I would offer subscision and Radiesse injection into the area. We should be able to get that flattened out. It may take a couple treatments but we should emerge victorious by the end!

Hope this helps!

Dr. Robb

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.