Is it safe to undergo subcision every week?

I have been getting treated at a dermatologist in Seoul, South Korea for acne scars. The main procedures I am going through are subcision + I2PL laser, for the atrophic scarring and red discoloration. Everything seems fine but the dermatologist is pushing for treatments every weekend, saying it is best for optimal results. Is this safe? Isnt't this too much stimulation on the skin in minimal intervals? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Weekly subcision maybe a little too frequent IMO

Just with my experience this is somewhat unusual, unless one is working on different areas of the face. It often takes 5- 10 days to heal from subcision, with bruising that may last beyond a week, for stubborn scars. Korean dermatologist have a very high standard in general, so I would be guided by HIS experience in the field. 

For the best results, one should target the acne scar type with ideal treatments. For example deep ice pick scars, and narrow box car scars can be treated with TCA CROSS peels, mixed scars, rolling, and atrophic scars treated with fractional devices such as Fraxel, fractional lasers, PRP and INFINI radiofrequency. Atrophic scars (depressions) can be treated with either fat grafts, or with HA dermal fillers. Tethered and anchored scars are best treated with surgery.

The majority of patients will have a collection of different scar types, and hence a tailored treatment METHOD will be best. Careful examination, especially under angled lighting with scar mapping will give you an understanding of what are the best options for your scars.

Dr Davin Lim.

Laser, surgical & aesthetic dermatologist.

Brisbane, Australia.

Brisbane Dermatologist

Subcision weekly?

I have never heard of this frequency. For acne scars, microneedling, Infini, PRP and Bellafill are my recommendations. If your doctor has experience using this protocol, then go with it.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Subcision

No, it is not recommended to have subcision every week.  We usually recommend subcision every 2 months, and  at the earliest every 6 weeks.   The reason for which you wouldn't want to repeat subcision too soon is because you want to allow the normal healing cycle to occur which produces new collagen and so that the tissue is soft again.  If you repeat it right away, the tissue will be indurated or hard and still healing.  Red scars should also undergo Vbeam or Pulsed Dye Laser (PDL).  PDL can be performed at 2-4 week intervals between treatment sessions. 

Jennifer Rullan, MD
Chula Vista Dermatologic Surgeon