Is a runny eye 2 days post op blepharoplasty normal?

I woke up today with a really runny eye and nose only on the left side on day 2 after my upper and lower eyelid surgery... is this okay and normal?

Mucus discharge is a sign that something is bothering the eye.

It is not normal after blepharoplasty.  This is precisely the type of issue I want to hear about from my patient.  Do not wait until the next visit.  Call your surgeon now and get an eye examination.  If your eyelid surgery is not a fellowship trained oculofacial surgeon, you will need to see your ophthalmologist for an assessment.

Runny eye after eyelid surgery

Hi. It is common to have some watering and irritation 2 days after eyelid surgery. You should check with your surgeon to make sure that everything is doing well. Hope this helps. Best regards, Ira Vidor, M.D.

Ira Vidor, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Post Op Tearing

Hi miss40377,

This is a question were get frequently from our post-op patients. Tearing occurs any time there's an irritation to the eye or eyelid. An upper lid and lower lid blepharoplasty often causes swelling near the edge of the eyelid and so cause sufficient irritation to produce tearing. The normal path for your tears to drain is down your nose, hence the runny nose.  

If you're having any increase in pain, redness or swelling, I wouldn't hesitate to contact your surgeon. Hope this helps!