Swollen After the new Halo Laser Treatment

I had an aggressive Halo laser treatment yesterday. Today my face is so swollen that I feel my skin will burst. I have had other laser procedures in the past and have never swollen up like this. How long will it take for the swelling to subside and is there anything I can do to ease it a bit. Possibly ice or ibuprofen? I'm a bit nervous that because it's so swollen, the skin won't go back to it's normal shape. Given my age of 61 I'm nervous it will stay stretched after the swelling goes away.

Swelling is normal, and will subside.

Please rest assured that the swelling will improve over the next 48 hours. You may get the swelling from the deep "non-ablative" heating of your dermis, but that will help improve the pores and texture of your skin. It is a good sign that the treatment had the intended effect. To help with the swelling, I suggest cool gel face-masks, or frozen peas in a plastic bag. If it is getting worse, please call your doctor as they may want to prescribe a Medrol pack to control the swelling. 

Swelling is normal, and will subside.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Swelling is a predictable part of Halo treatment.

Hi PreciousOne53, thanks for your question. I’m sorry you’re experiencing a difficult recover

Swelling is a common side effect of Halo laser and other laser resurfacing treatments. I recently had the Halo Pro treatment, and experienced rather significant swelling myself! We find that swelling typically resolves completely within the first week. During this time, we advise our patients to avoid salty foods, sleep with the head elevated, and may take an antihistamine. Avoid excessive icing, as it may actually contribute to swelling. If the swelling is excessive, you can contact your doctor to request a steroid taper. 

Swelling will not cause permanent looseness. The Halo and Halo Pro resurfacing treatments have a proven safety record and high satisfaction rate. Generally, the patients who have a more significant inflammatory response will actually end up with more significant collagen stimulation, improvement to elasticity, and a better overall result. That said, if you continue to experience discomfort or uncertainty, contact your doctor to discuss your symptoms. 

Sue Ellen Cox, MD
Raleigh-Durham Dermatologic Surgeon

Sue Ellen Cox, MD
Raleigh-Durham Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling is normal for the Halo Pro

Most commonly you will have swelling after a Halo Pro laser treatment. Swelling will happen with any heat related laser treatments. Swelling will not affect the outcome but it can last 2-4 days depending on the depth of your treatment. Sleeping elevated will help prevent additional fluid to build up at night. Throughout the day swelling will get better because of physical activity.

David L. Robbins, MD, FACS
West Des Moines Plastic Surgeon

Swelling is normal for the Halo Pro

David L. Robbins, MD, FACS
West Des Moines Plastic Surgeon

Halo

Halo is really the best laser resurfacing we have ever had- it is the first "hybrid" laser- We have had nothing but very happy patients and amazing results.

I would make sure you stay elevated (your head above your heart) and try to relax you have a beautiful result in store!

Melanie L. Petro, MD
Birmingham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Halo

Melanie L. Petro, MD
Birmingham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after HALO

All of my patients swell after HALO. This is a normal response and it typically lasts up to 3 days. To reduce swelling I suggest to ice 20 minutes on and off, low sodium diet, and to elevate your head when you are sleeping. Remember to keep you face clean and moisturized. The swelling should subside, if it doesn't, follow up with your Dr. I wish you luck and hope you love your results!

Swelling after HALO

Halo laser postoperative course

It is unlike any other laser system because it has both ablative and non-ablative wavelengths.  It is not just another fractional laser treatment like other physicians may suggest (particularly those without Halo).  

I have see different individuals have different postoperative courses, and have seen the same individual have different postoperative courses following her first and second treatments. 

What I have found is that it is 100% vital to sleep the first few nights with your head elevated.  Those who have done best from swelling standpoint have slept in chairs. Those who slept flat on their back or on one side have seen more swelling.  

The good news is, I have not seen swelling or redness last more than 5 days and everyone has been completely healed by day 6.  Everyone has been extremely pleased with their results so far!  Hang in there for another couple of days and you will be very glad you had a Halo laser treatment.  

Best wishes!

W. Bryant Walker, MD
Jackson Physician

Halo laser postoperative course

Best wishes!

W. Bryant Walker, MD
Jackson Physician

Swelling after Halo

Thanks for the great questions. Swelling after the treatment is fairly common, especially in women. There are a few things to help mitigate the swelling. The first is sleeping with your head elevated for the first few nights after the treatment. The second is to take an antihistamine like Zyrtec or Claritin. The third is to take an H2 blocker like Tagamet or Pepsid. When used together I find that these all help to reduce the post procedural swelling. Most patients find that the swelling lasts for 2-3 days then quickly resolves. The temporary swelling won't have any long term effect on the elasticity of your skin. Best of luck and I hope you love your results!

~Dr. Sieber

Swelling after Halo

~Dr. Sieber

Swelling is normal response and it a good one!

Hi, as you know the beauty of a halo treatment is that you can  find tune the settings to achieve the best results for you. I noticed that my patients in which I gave a deeper and more  aggressive treatment they tend to swell more,  which in the other hand I'm happy to see because I know they will get an amazing results. I routinely gave the patients before halo and antihistamine  and ibuprofen to improve their post  procedure experience.  You can also take a ibuprofen as needed.  The swelling should improve within the first few days, some people swell more than others. If the swelling persists more than a week make sure you contact your surgeon's office. I'm sure you'll get a great result. 

Swelling is a common reaction after Halo Laser Treatment

It is common for patients to have some degree of swelling after any laser treatment to the face.  The degree of swelling varies from patient to patient, but is usually mild to moderate at most.  Everyone will react different and it is difficult for a practitioner to predict the  exact degree of swelling, and can even vary in the same patient from session to session.  In my experience, I have found that no matter how aggressive a Halo treatment is performed,  the downtime is 5-7 days across the board.  However there is always the exception. Medicine is not an exact science.

Yes, there are thigs to do to help the swelling subside.  Elevation of the head, ice, Ibuprofen, benadryl work well for this situation.  Rarely, if the swelling is dramatic we can prescribe a Medrol Dose Pack to help it resolve quicker.

Your skin will go back to its normal shape, it is not stretched to the point of not returning to its natural shape.

In my experience, between 5-7 days you will be up and running and on your way to healthy skin.  Hope you found this answer helpful.  All the best!

Swelling after the Halo

Swelling after the Halo is normal and can last up to 3 days after treatment.  It is always best to follow up with the provider who performed the treatment to evaluate your swelling.  Elevated sleeping will help reduce swelling as well as Benadryl.  You may need a prescription mediation to help reduce swelling which can be given by the provider.  Good luck!  

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after the Halo

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon